Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Why we need a frum community

amother

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 11:03 am
The prices for houses in our community are sky high and many people have advised us to move outside of the frum community but close enough to commute to work.

Right now we manage without a car and all the expenses that come with it because we are in walkable (basically) distant to all our needs and the subways. If we moved out there we would need a car or 2 to get to the kosher shops the schools etc. The biggest issue is shabbos and neighbors. DH needs to have a shul to walk to, preferably close enough that some kids can go too. My kids are not going to play with the non jewish kids (sorry if that bothers you) so we will need to drive them to any and all playdates. They will miss out on having neighbors to run over and borrow things or play with. They will not be able to go to class gatherings or simchos on shabbos and we will not be able to host them because people will not walk all the way out there.

So does it still make sense to live outside the frum community even though it was save a pretty penny? I think it would affect the quality of life too much.

Why is everyone suggesting it?

pesek zman

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 11:09 am
No. Living among and close to other frum people, and being within walking distance of Shuls and a mikvah, I think is the most important factor when considering where to live. Take a smaller house, or even an apartment, but especially for frum Jews, it's location, location, location.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 11:12 am
you can't have everything ... so if you're going to have an aversion to the surrounding neighbors ~ go live in a cave

naturalmom5

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 11:20 am
On the one hand it says
אוי לרשע או לשכנו. the environment influences you greatly
However that doesn't mean you have to live in NY

The frum community in Oak Park Michigan, Just one example is a lot friendlier than NY and much more affordable

smss

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 11:21 am
I wouldn't move out of the frum community. I would move to a cheaper frum community.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 11:26 am
smss wrote:
I wouldn't move out of the frum community. I would move to a cheaper frum community.

that certainly would be more logical for op

Frenchfry

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 11:28 am
I grew up "out of it" and did not apreciate it!

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 11:33 am
smss wrote:
My thought exactly.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 01 2013, 12:13 pm
You must be in a bind. It's not so simple to move to a wonderful OOT community, unless you have a firm job offer.
But it's one thing to take a chance moving to an up and coming neighborhood, and another where you will be alone. It's likely not going to be good for the kids. I hope you can find a good option.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating