Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Bumps on upper arms

Milk Munch

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 3:21 pm
My 5 yr. old has little bumps on his upper arms. I once saw a name for this but don't remember what it is. Does anyone know? Does anyone have any experience with this?
I dont' think its normal to just have these bumps, they dont' seem to bother him in any way but I still want to find out what they are caused by.

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Mon, Nov 13 2006, 3:25 pm
Bumps like goose-pimples on the upper arms and legs may be a symptom of vitamin A deficiency.

chen

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 9:31 am
from http://www.aocd.org/skin/derma.....html:

Keratosis Pilaris

Keratosis pilaris is a skin condition commonly seen on the upper arms, buttocks and thighs. The skin cells that normally flake off as a fine dust from the skin form plugs in the hair follicles. These appear as small pimples that have a dry ''sandpaper'' feeling. They are usually white but sometimes rather red. They usually don't itch or hurt.

Keratosis pilaris is particularly common in teenagers on the upper arms. It may occur in babies where it tends to be most obvious on the cheeks. It may remain for years but generally gradually disappears usually before age 30. Keratosis pilaris is unsightly but completely harmless. It is usually worse during the winter months or other times of low humidity when skin dries out, and may worsen during pregnancy or after childbirth.

Treatment of keratosis pilaris is not necessary, and unfortunately often has disappointing results. With persistence, most people can get very satisfactory improvement. Initial treatment should be intensive moisturizing. Try a cream such as Acid mantle, Vaseline or Complex 15 after bathing, and re-apply the cream again several times daily.

If this does not help, change to a medicated cream containing urea (Curel, Carmol-20) or alpha-hydroxy acids (Aqua Glycolic, Lacticare) applied twice daily - it may be too irritating to use more often. More aggressive home treatment can be done if ones skin can tolerate it. The plugged pores can be removed by taking long, hot soaking tub baths and then rubbing the areas with a coarse washcloth, stiff brush, or 'Buf-Puf'.

Prescription medicines that may help include antibiotics (Erythromycin, Bactrim) if the spots are very red and Tazorac Cream. Tazorac, a relative of vitamin A, may cause irritation in some people

this from chen: or you can just ignore it. it doesn't hurt, it doesn't itch, it doesn't get infected, it's in a place that is usually covered by clothing, and the cure can be more of a nuisance than the condition itself.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 15 2006, 9:54 am
did you ask your dr?

Tila

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 1:58 pm
Was it Molescum contagiousious?? I have a post about this. soon

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 2:04 pm
I have something like that on my upper arms. It kind of looks like a rash, but it's not itchy at all. I've had it for years, and no amount of lotion gets rid of it.

chavamom

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 2:20 pm
Tila wrote:
Was it Molescum contagiousious?? I have a post about this. soon

Moluscum is more like 'warty' than 'pimply' if that makes sense.

Tila

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 10:37 am
Yes molescum is wart like, but it appears as a rash. It does not hurt, or itch. The only way to get rid of them is by having them cut off. My concern about this is how is it transmitted?? I know it is passed from individual via baths and rubbing up against the "wart" aera, but is it also passed via salavia?? I hear it is rampant amognst HUGE families amd they may not know that they have it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics