Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
How do you warm up milchig foods?

yaeli83

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 4:15 pm
My fleishig oven doesn't have shabbos mode and therefor will turn off after 12 hrs. Usually for yom tov meals, I leave on a crock pot to make a fresh cholent or stew, and heat up the rest on the hot plate.

I only have a milchig toaster oven which I can't leave on.

How would I go about warming up milchig foods? any suggestions?

busydev

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 4:17 pm
hot plate (plata)

a second milchig crock pot

a blech for milchigs over the oven

yaeli83

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 4:19 pm
This may sound ignorant, but can you put milchig on a hot plate that is only used for flieshig? do you have to do anything special?

busydev

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 4:23 pm
get a new one.

otherwise ask a rav- maybe you can double cover it with foil?

pesek zman

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 4:40 pm
Blech

shalhevet

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 4:40 pm
yaeli83 wrote:
This may sound ignorant, but can you put milchig on a hot plate that is only used for flieshig? do you have to do anything special?

The hotplate kashers itself continuously, so if you haven't had fleishig on for an hour or two, you can put milchig on. The only problem is with spills - so we prepare clean silver foil before YT and cover the plata with it before heating the milchig.

Raisin

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 4:43 pm
can you put your toaster oven on a timer so it is on for a couple of hours during the day?

amother

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 4:49 pm
Here is one most of you have not thought of.

On Yom Tov we usually leave a fire on the fleishig stove. We use that for pareve soup for the milchig meal.

Although technically we could use that for milchig food, I don't like things splashing, since I am fortunate enough to have two stoves, I would like to keep each one kosher and shayla-free.

However, if you light a few tea lights & put them around the burner, you can boil water, cook potatoes, warm up soup etc pretty nicely (albeit a bit slowly). I would not recommend it for frying blintzes, but it might work. If you want to try it, do it before YT so you can know if you should count on it.

What we sometimes do is this. Since the stove has electronic pilot lights, we unplug it before YT and then we can light the stovetop using a match and a yahrzeit light etc. Thus we can turn on that burner only for the last meal.

Or, if we are lucky, my cleaning lady is still there and she turns it off after the meal. I HATE having extra fires on on YT, and actually it's a bit hazardous WRT fires, CO2 etc.

My best idea is milchig things you can eat cold and heat up pareve things in fleishig oven/on fleishig stove. (You can also usethe fleishig oven to heat things like lasagna, quiche etc double-wrapped, but it makes me very nervous. Is the outside foil fleishig? What if you need to open it, check on it, and put it back? And won't it be soggy? Only really good for things that don't need to be open, like veg stir fry w cheese. Personally, I am moichel the cheese anyhow.)

I am going to be anon since people who know me do know about my tea lights. (Why am I so timid about my identity, anyhow? Double-wrapped, that's me....)

shalhevet

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 4:53 pm
amother wrote:

Or, if we are lucky, my cleaning lady is still there and she turns it off after the meal. I HATE having extra fires on on YT, and actually it's a bit hazardous WRT fires, CO2 etc.

How can your cleaning lady turn it off since the melacha is for your benefit and not hers? (Or is amira legoy different for YT than Shabbos?)

busydev

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 4:55 pm
shalhevet wrote:
Or is amira legoy different for YT than Shabbos?

tsk thats amira l'akum!!! and the censor didnt pick it up!!!!

Wink

anonymom

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 5:00 pm
I wrap well and put in the fleishig oven. It is not ideal because you can't have a quiche with a crispy top but it's the trade off for not having both ovens going the whole y.t.

shalhevet

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 5:01 pm
busydev wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
Or is amira legoy different for YT than Shabbos?

tsk thats amira l'akum!!! and the censor didnt pick it up!!!!

Wink

LOL

amother

Post Thu, May 02 2013, 5:02 pm
Quote:

Quote:
How can your cleaning lady turn it off since the melacha is for your benefit and not hers? (Or is amira legAkum different for YT than Shabbos?)

possibly because of sakana (danger), possibly because she is hot too! I know DH says it's okay. Please AYOLOR (ask your own LOR).

Dh also says that when the oven is off (there's a light to tell us if the flame is on) we can turn it off. But it's an old oven and more fancy electronic ones are very likely different.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics