Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Bergenfield Vs. Passaic
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 7:36 pm
Which would you choose and why?

We are Just Plain Frum: I cover my hair fully and am fully tznius (but do not wear socks), We do NOT have a tv and don't watch videos. Dh works in a secular job but davens 3x/day with a minyan and learns daily, goes to shiurim, etc. He does not wear a hat or black and white.

We have three young children, the oldest being in 2nd grade.

harriet

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 7:38 pm
what kind of school do you want to send your kids to? the passaic area schools are more to the right of the bergenfield area schools (even Hillel)

amother

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 7:41 pm
We don't know. We want our kids to have a GREAT education, both secular and kodesh.

abby1776

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 8:08 pm
bergenfield is to modern for you - lots of people watch TV or let their kids watch videos.

octopus

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 8:32 pm
isn't bergenfield a little more to the right than teaneck?

amother

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 8:37 pm
Bergenfield tends to be more to the right and younger than Teaneck (overall, obviously there's both in both areas). Even in the school that's more 'right' ,YNJ, you'll def. hear a lot about TV and such whereas in the Passaic yeshivot, probably not as much (yeshiva ketana is more to the right of Hillel, but even Hillel has gotten more right over the years).
From what you've written about yourself I wouldn't be able to say anything with complete conviction but it would seem Passiac may be more of a fit though there are a lot of yeshivish ppl there, so I'd suggest Hillel, but check em both out...

Mom23gs

Post Mon, May 06 2013, 8:49 pm
I can't speak for passaic, but I would say that Bergenfield is a mixed community. The boundaries between Teaneck and bergenfield are somewhat blurred, so you have many families who are more modern moving in because it is cheaper to buy a house in Bergenfield. Most of the more modern families daven at Keter Torah and send their kids to Yavneh or Noam. There are also many many families who dress as your family does and hold as you do about television. They daven mainly at Beth Abraham, and Rabbi Sobolovsky and BMOB and send their kids to RYNJ. Of course , there is some crossover in all that. No one really labels or judges though, and if my kids bring home friends who don't watch TV, ours doesn't go on. We eat in each others homes, our kids have play dates and play on the same sports teams together. All the men here work, as do many women, and there are tons of shiurim in the evenings for both.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 10:11 am
bump:

Do any Bergenfield families send their kids to Hillel?

oohlala

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 11:28 am
I live in passaic and send my kids to hillel (better known as YBH). There is a Bergenfield bus that is semi subsidized by YBH. You still need to pay per child per year. There are a few families (around 5-7, I'd guess) that send their kids to YBH from Bergenfield or Teaneck. There is also a bus from Fair Lawn. Happy to answer more questions if you like, you can private message me.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 11:48 am
oohlala wrote:
I live in passaic and send my kids to hillel (better known as YBH). There is a Bergenfield bus that is semi subsidized by YBH. You still need to pay per child per year. There are a few families (around 5-7, I'd guess) that send their kids to YBH from Bergenfield or Teaneck. There is also a bus from Fair Lawn. Happy to answer more questions if you like, you can private message me.

Thanks. We don’t live in either area yet but will likely move to one. YBH May be a better fit for our family but not sure if we want to live there. Thinking of reaching out to the school to get a feel for it but anything you can say about it would be helpful.

We have a (now) 4 year old girl who we would be looking at admission for the fall (pre 1 a? Kindergarten?)

oohlala

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 12:36 pm
The cutoff at YBH is October 31. Child must be 4 by then to enter Kindergarten. Child must be 5 by then to enter pre1a. Def. speak with the school to see if it would be a good fit. There is an open house sometime in Dec. and that's a good time to meet parents and board member and others who are applying and you will get a feel of the crowd and of course the academics and hashkafa.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 12:52 pm
Idk about the education in hillel, but you won't get an excellent secular one in ykp.

oohlala

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 1:03 pm
If you have friends in either community I would recommend you spend shabbos in each to see which you'd feel more comfortable in. Passaic ranges from Young Israel to extremely Yeshivish. Mostly nusach ashkenaz. A few Heimish nusach sfard shuls. No chassidim around except a chabad house.
Many pple from Yekke backgrounds as well. Happy to help you find out more about neighborhoods and shuls if you'd like as well.

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 9:44 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Idk about the education in hillel, but you won't get an excellent secular one in ykp.

The YBH education is excellent! The General Studies principal is excellent and they have real standards and curricular goals that they are working towards in all subjects.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 10:29 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Thanks. We don’t live in either area yet but will likely move to one. YBH May be a better fit for our family but not sure if we want to live there. Thinking of reaching out to the school to get a feel for it but anything you can say about it would be helpful.

We have a (now) 4 year old girl who we would be looking at admission for the fall (pre 1 a? Kindergarten?)

Also consider Springfield. Some families have begun sending to YBH.

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 10:40 pm
oohlala wrote:
If you have friends in either community I would recommend you spend shabbos in each to see which you'd feel more comfortable in. Passaic ranges from Young Israel to extremely Yeshivish. Mostly nusach ashkenaz. A few Heimish nusach sfard shuls. No chassidim around except a chabad house.
Many pple from Yekke backgrounds as well. Happy to help you find out more about neighborhoods and shuls if you'd like as well.

How heimish are the mustache sfard shuls? What neighborhoods are they in?

Sorry ot but didn’t know those existed

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 10:41 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Also consider Springfield. Some families have begun sending to YBH.

Too far from my workplace, but thank you for the suggestion

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 11:38 pm
YBH is an excellent school but be aware that the principal is leaving after next year and the school has shifted hashkafos with principal changes in the past. Right now it’s a bit more to the right than the Bergenfield crowd, girls have to wear knee socks eventually, the high school choices will include some BYs, a bunch of boys will put on a black hat... which you won’t really have in a school like YNJ. Also is in Passaic/Clifton not wearing socks will put you in a minority, so it depends how that will make you feel.

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 11:42 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
How heimish are the mustache sfard shuls? What neighborhoods are they in?

Sorry ot but didn’t know those existed

I would not call them heimish at all more yeahivish. The options are Rabbi Berkowitz on Main Ave, Rabbi Weinberger on Terhune and the Tifereth Israel on Passaic Ave which all cater to different neighborhoods. The first 2 are more yeshivish the last is more RW MO. There’s also one in the Adas but I don’t know anything about it .
The Shuls daven sfard because of the Rav not the crowd. Most people I know in all those shuls daven Ashkenaz they chose the shul for other reasons. We are the opposite and daven in an ashkenaz shul even though we daven sfard. It doesn’t seem to be a deciding factor for people here .

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 1:38 am
Check into Highland Park
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating