Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Haman's ears

supermom

Post Tue, Mar 15 2005, 11:12 am
When we were growing up we were taught the reason we ate hamantashens is because it symbolized hamans hat. I just found out today that it was his shape of his ears. ewww. just the thought of it. Am I the only one that was taught it was his hat? What other things that we eat symbolizes something from purim that I should know about that maybe I was taught differently?

gryp

Post Tue, Mar 15 2005, 11:14 am
supermom- im sure you know what theyre called in Hebrew-Aznei Haman!!

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Mar 15 2005, 12:23 pm
betei avon!!! Twisted Evil

1stimer

Post Tue, Mar 15 2005, 12:26 pm
why are they in the shape of haman's ears?

Motek

Post Tue, Mar 15 2005, 1:23 pm
Quote:
The three-cornered filled pastries known as Hamantashen are a traditional Purim treat. The name literally means "Haman Pockets," but they are also called "Haman's Hat."

In Israel they are called "Ozney Haman" -- Haman's Ears! In Yiddish, the word for poppy is mon. Tash means pocket. A "mon-tash" then, is a "poppy pocket," which is an apt description of the pastry itself. When the Hebrew definite article "Ha" is added you get "ha-mon-tash." The fact that the "ha-mon" part sounds like the name of the villain of the Esther story may be the reason that the "hamantash" became associated with Purim.

Motek

Post Tue, Mar 15 2005, 1:26 pm
Quote:
Kreplach - mince meat covered with dough, also triangular in shape. The reason for eating kreplach on Purim is implied in two ways, based on initials.

KRP (kof, reish, pei) - Kippur, Hoshana Rabba, Purim - these are the holidays on which we eat Kreplach, and they are connected with beating and striking (on the eve of Yom Kippur - 39 lashes that the penitents apply to themselves; Hoshana Rabba - striking the Aravos; Purim - striking Haman during the Megillah reading.

Based on the verse in the book of Devarim (13:16): "Hakeh sakeh es yoshvei ha-ir" (you will surely smite the inhabitants of that city"), and of course in relation to beating and striking:
HAKEH TAKEH - an acronym for the three times we eat kreplach: Hoshana Rabba, Kippur, Haman - "Tochlu Kreplach Harbeh" (You will eat a lot of Kreplach!!!)

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Mar 15 2005, 2:37 pm
Is it from the same site?

supermom

Post Tue, Mar 15 2005, 10:02 pm
RG wrote:
supermom- im sure you know what theyre called in Hebrew-Aznei Haman!!

sorry no never knew that!! I just found out that is why they called hamantashins by my hubby the same time he told me they were the shape of his ears. but if this is the case why are we celebrating the fact that his ears are pointy? and eating them? now that is a little bit odd don't you think?

sarahd

Post Wed, Mar 16 2005, 2:09 am
That's what happens when you start up with the Jews - they're gonna eat your ears in the end!! Tongue Out

supermom

Post Wed, Mar 16 2005, 3:19 am
LOL LOL LOL

Rivka

Post Wed, Mar 16 2005, 4:09 am
sarahd wrote:
That's what happens when you start up with the Jews - they're gonna eat your ears in the end!! Tongue Out

I think that is what Tyson did.

Okay about it being in the shape of haman's ears, maybe he was Spock??

ForeverYoung

Post Wed, Mar 16 2005, 8:27 am
my kids were told in school it's the shape of his hat
(or was it Napoleon??)

Rivka

Post Sat, Mar 19 2005, 4:44 pm
yes Haman's hat I heard that. I think it's all just because it's called Haman and I was told coz it has poppy seeds, which really they don't all, I like the chocolate ones.
I think it's also another excuse for food.

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 3:14 pm
timely thread

happy2beme

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 11:20 am
lol- I had no clue- always learned it wa sbecause of his hat!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics