Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ear infections

challi

Post Tue, Oct 24 2006, 1:25 pm
My baby/ almost toddler has an ear infection on average of every 1.5-2 months. They started when she was 3weeks old. Lately they are getting more frequent (she had 3 in a period of 2months!)

Even with their frequency, it was documented that they went away completely between each infection, meaning no redness no fluid no anything! But, 1.5 wks later it came back! We've tried everything (or so I think) and are open to any suggestions, natural, conventional, wives tales, you name it.

Has anyone ever gone through this and could offer some suggestions? I feel so helpless to help her Crying Sometimes she has no other symptom other than screaming her head off from the pain (no cold, fever, runny nose, just an almost burst eardrum).

yersp

Post Tue, Oct 24 2006, 2:07 pm
I have the same problem but with both my kids!! My 2 1/2 yr old has an appt today with an ear dr to see why the last infection just didnt go away even with being on strong meds for 10 days. She has had ear infections for the past year every other month or so. Now my sonny boy has his 3rd infection since august. He became 1 in september. The dr. thinks it could be that the milk is causing the infection so he's on a milk free diet for a while and hopefully that will help. Argghhh!! I know how frustrating it can be!! Funny thing was that with his now ear infection he had no symptoms other than waking up a few times at night. I was very surprised!! He was supposed to have gotten shots now!!
I heard it might be hereditary. First I thought yeah right, baloney but now I'm starting to think it might be true. My husband suffered from ear infections from newborn until about bar mitzvah age and since then B"H he hasnt had any problems. Interesting....... Scratching Head

NumberOneMommy

Post Tue, Oct 24 2006, 4:12 pm
My son who is now 3 1/2 years old had 10 ear infectons by the time he was a year. He ended up getting tubes put in and it was a lifesaver. He didn't even get one ear infection while he had the tubes in. they fell out about 2 years later and so far he is doing great B'H. Too many ear infections can cause hearing loss and speach delay. I think you should see an E.N.T if you want any names I can give you some.

Sparkle

Post Tue, Oct 24 2006, 4:45 pm
Stop using Johnsons and Johnsons shampoo or any other shampoo with quanternium 15 (real name: formaldehyde)!

My friend has recurring ear infections with all 3 of her kids. Since she stopped using J & J last year - not one more infection!

PS. Research quanternium 15 on the web - even if it doesn't get rid of ear infections, do you really want to be using it on your kids!?

imashosh

Post Tue, Oct 24 2006, 5:19 pm
Well according to the medical field that has been way too many ear infections in too short of a period. If your MD hasn't suggested yet you need to go see an ENT to see about puting tubes in your childs ear. This is a failry simple procedure that allows the middle ear to drain well and prevent the accumulation of bacteria behind the ear drum. Good luck to your child!

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Oct 24 2006, 10:08 pm
can an ear infections cause green liquid/puss-like to come from the ear/s? (alot oozing out).

shayna82

Post Tue, Oct 24 2006, 10:20 pm
mom22 wrote:
Stop using Johnsons and Johnsons shampoo or any other shampoo with quanternium 15 (real name: formaldehyde)!

My friend has recurring ear infections with all 3 of her kids. Since she stopped using J & J last year - not one more infection!

PS. Research quanternium 15 on the web - even if it doesn't get rid of ear infections, do you really want to be using it on your kids!?

I have always used that, its been around for probably one hundred years, wouldnt they have made it known to the public by now if it was truely causing a problem. my sons are 3 and 17 months and they never had an ear infection thank g0d, kayn ayin hara. until I see somethign from the fda or something more legal than just one friends issue, I dont think anyone should worry.

challi

Post Wed, Oct 25 2006, 5:20 am
We've taken her to sooooo many doctors as well as a top ENT in our area. I've cut milk out of my, and her diet (she's still nursing). Then when it hadn't help I added it back so I could give her yogurt with the "good bacteria" because the antibiotics had messed her stomach up so much.

By the way not one of the doctors suggested ear tubes. She doesn't have ANY fluid between ear infections, the doctor even said thast had she not KNOWN that she had had 8 ear infections by that time she would have thought she was looking at a perfectly normal ear. Well we're up to #9 now Rolling Eyes and she's not yet 1yr old!

The ENT said she would need to have her hearing checked after her first b-day and one doctor suggested putting her on proflactive (preventitive) antibiotics daily to prevent any more. No way am I doing that. Another said that many children stop by their 1st b-day "miraculously". She was hospitalized once already bcz she had such a high fever and she couldn't eat because after being on strong antibiotics for so long her stomach was so upset. The doctor there suggested homiopathics (sp?) believe it or not so we're trying that right now and praying really hard for one of those 1yr mark miracles. But the stuff tastes sooo bad that when I was giving it to her she gagged and threw it all up. Now when she smells the stuff she shudders (litterally!)

Maybe later I'll post a list of all the things I've heard to do for ear infections in case it will help someone else here.

Coke Slurpee

Post Wed, Oct 25 2006, 11:43 am
Quote:
can an ear infections cause green liquid/puss-like to come from the ear/s? (alot oozing out).

Green liquid and gook are a sign that your son's ears are draining the fluid. After my son had tubes, his ears were clear for a few months than one shabbos he woke up with green gook coming out of his ears it was so gross. I called the dr. after shabbos and he said that's the sign his tubes are working because the fluid is not just sitting in his ear, but actually drainiing out. Fluid that sit in the ear can cause an ear infection. The fact that the fluid is green signifies an infection and you should take him to the dr. to check it out.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 11:15 pm
I had the same problem with my son -7 infections in less than a year, and the ENT wanted to put in tubes. I tried homeopathy and it worked. I went to a homeopathic doctor (it was a 2 hour appt.). Do not just take over the counter remedies, they should be evaluated for your child. Why surgery if there are alternatives?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics