Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Ruth vs Naomi

robynm

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 12:16 pm
Do you connect more to Ruth or Naomi?

What do you take out of the story of Megilas Ruth?

How do you make Shavuous a personal experience?

greenfire

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 12:56 pm
that god accepts everyone - so ya never know what power you have within ... or whom your descendants will be

did rus know moshiach would come from her - ah

robynm

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 12:58 pm
greenfire wrote:
that god accepts everyone - so ya never know what power you have within ... or whom your descendants will be

did rus know moshiach would come from her - ah

I like that! Thanks!

etky

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 1:50 pm
Both characters are a bit enigmatic to me.
I always wondered about Naomi's role (or lack thereof?) in the decision to leave Bethlehem and emigrate to Moab and her feelings about her sons marrying Moabite women. The Bible tells us none of this. I also marvel at her courage to return to Bethlehem, a pauperess, and face down those who might be gloating over her predicament. I suppose she must have understood the fate that befell her family as a form of Divine retribution and realized that returning to Bethlehem was a form of rectification. Still, it took courage.
Ruth - I have to admit that I never fully understood her motivation in adhering to Naomi. It obviously transcends the personal aspect, as we understand from her words to Naomi. It's just that I wonder what kind of Judaism Elimelech and his family could have been practicing in those early, pre-Diaspora days, cut off from community, tribe, the agrarian society that they had been a part of etc. I suppose some elemental form of Shabbat observance was an important aspect and the abstract belief in one G-d. I guess Ruth must have had an intellectual bent and these ideas appealed to her.
I think the story of Ruth teaches us the significance and potential impact of people who have the strength of character to do more than is required from them, despite the difficulty involved. Both Ruth and Boaz have foils who opted out and did not rise to the occasion as they did. Ruth has Orpah who chose the path of least resistance and turned back and Boaz had Plony Almony who refused to be the 'goel'. These minor characters highlight Ruth and Boaz's unconventional, courageous actions and their tremendous chessed that went beyond what they were required to do.

greenfire

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 1:54 pm
another thought ... how a simple kind word or action can help someone get through a rough patch in life

naomi was that to rus
as was boaz looking at the best in rus

greenfire

Post Tue, May 14 2013, 11:28 am
well let's not forget on the 2nd day of shavuos to go to a shul that reads megilas rus ... not every shul does so
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics