Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Women who work- Do you work on Fridays?
Previous  1  2  3

Do you work on Fridays?
Yes, until close to candle lighting  
 30%  [ 36 ]
Yes, but only half a day  
 44%  [ 52 ]
No  
 25%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 118

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 5:05 pm
I'm making a LOT of food for Y"T and freezing some of it; only pulling it out if necessary. (2 apple kugels, 1 yerushalmi, 1 broccoli, potatoes, rice, london broil, roast, chicken cutlet roll ups, appetizers, soup, etc)
Friday afternoons I am home so I can quickly make gefilte fish and whatever else is necessary.

dlj

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 5:11 pm
Work in a hospital - no flexibility on leaving time on a Friday (normally busiest day of week putting all plans in place for weekend) and often come home after Shabbat comes in, especially in the winter - prepaid cab arrangement as discussed with Rabbi. Very strange feeling...go straight to pick up little one from daycare and then walk home where DH is already back from shul...not fun!!!

Mrs Bissli - I know...it's so hard this year!! Where are you? If in NW London, shops open v early tomorrow - Kosher Kingdom and Kosher Deli 7am etc. My plan is to buy enough challot tomorrow and freeze ahead, buy chicken and put in freezer ready marinated to pop in oven as soon as get home on Friday, veg side dishes will be made Parev, extra potatoes/sw potatoes etc peeled tom, am well stocked up on dips etc, have a carcas to cook my chicken soup in slow cooker overnight Thurs and then put cholent on first thing on Friday morning after a quick rinse of the slow cooker!! Definitely a juggling act, but totally doable. Anything in your freezer? I had a very successful raid my freezer session last week...thinking I should have saved it for this week! ARe your guests coming for Friday night dinner or Shabbat lunch? Happy to provide you some v v easy and quick to make menus

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, May 13 2013, 11:49 pm
Thanks dlj. You sound amazingly well organised, kol hakavod! Just don't forget to leave enough time for things to defrost. Shame as I need to be in the office by 7:30am. And guests for both Fri dinner and Sat lunch. I did manage to dig out chicken supreme from the freezer, so I may go for eithe schnitzels or two-in-one poached chicken (use the poached broth for soup base) though I've been making the latter a bit too often recently. Also discovered cubed cholent meat. Most other things I'll have to get motzei yomtov (already done most of shavuot cooking in milky utencils), good idea to stock up on dips.

groisamomma

Post Sat, May 18 2013, 11:50 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
YIKES YIKES YIKES YIKES YIKES!!!

For those of you who work erev YT and Friday (issur chag) and live chutz, how are you going to manage cooking for shabbat?
I've got all groceries and started cooking for Shavuot tonight. We do milky/parve meat for all Shavuot meals. Then DH reminded me that we have meal guests for Shabbat. It would be impossible to start cooking motzei yomtov (Thurs) as YT won't finish until close to 10pm. I'm working tomorrow till 5pm, will just barely have enough time to prepare things for Shavuot only. And I haven't placed order for meat!

Do I either cook extra parve thing and make a non-meat shabbat (not ideal, as I'm sure guests are expecting meats after pretty much everyone does milky meals for shavuot), or dispatch non-cooking DH to a takeout first thing on Fri morning?

Just saw this now. Brought home lots of Y"T leftovers from Shavuos host, the rest dh cooked on Friday.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics