Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do they have to go in a carseat?
Previous  1  2  3

happy2beme

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 2:25 pm
Yeh, I just searched for it- it costs $280.

A little pricey and I have so many car seats already!

DesignMommy

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 4:42 pm
cindy324 wrote:
There others with the same features as the Britax, you just gotta shop around. I don't see why only a ridiculously expensive brand can do a good enough job. The Britax is like the carseat equivalent of the Bugaboo stroller, IMO Rolling Eyes

Yes and no- the Bugaboo isn't prized because of its safety record, while the Britax is. The Britax can go up to a much higher weight and height then other brands, also. But you are right, there are other carseats that are less expensive and very highly rated in terms of safety, you just have to do the research.

cl

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 10:09 am
I have a very lightweight Britax car-seat that does not have its own harness. You use the car's own seat belt over the child (like witha booster) and it has a shoulder clip to adjust it to the right height for the child. You can use it from around age 1-4. Its in DH's car so he can take it out easily if he needs the extra space an if I need to go in someone else's car I can take it with me. In my car I have a regular car-seat - store's own brand I think - with the built in 3point harness but its soo heavy n bulky and fiddly to fit in I avoid moving it at all costs.

As for other people's kids I do not take responsibility for whether they r in a correct car-seat. If their parent wants me do them a favour an take them to Gan then its up to them to put their own kid in my car an supply and fit the car-seat. If they dont have one an they still want me to take their kid I will.

In England, by law, you do not need to take a car-seat in a taxi.

stem

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 10:30 am
My state instituted boosters till age 8 or 80 lbs. (or both?) recently. Problem is, they still allow children to ride on school buses without seat belts! Though she doesn't take school buses during the school year, my daughter rides on a school bus in the summers at day camp. I have a dilemma every year, whether I should give up my summers to chaperon her bunk and drive her around myself on all her trips, or just try not to think about her in that school bus driving on long trips (1-2 hours) on highways at least once a week, and shorter trips (10-15 minutes) almost every day. WWYD?

mumoo

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 3:13 pm
This is from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:

Large school buses are heavier and distribute crash forces differently than do passenger cars and light trucks. Because of these differences, the crash forces experienced by occupants of buses are much less than that experienced by occupants of passenger cars, light trucks or vans. NHTSA decided that the best way to provide crash protection to passengers of large school buses is through a concept called “compartmentalization.” Through compartmentalization, occupant crash protection is provided by a protective envelope consisting of strong, closely-spaced seats that have energy-absorbing seat backs.

Since the sizes and weights of small school buses are closer to those of passenger cars and trucks, seat belts in those vehicles are necessary to provide occupant protection.

School bus crash data show that compartmentalization has been effective at protecting school bus passengers. NHTSA’s 2002 Report to Congress[1] found that the addition of lap belts did not improve occupant protection for the severe frontal impacts that were studied for that report.

The NTSB concluded in a 1987 study of school bus crashes that most fatalities and injuries occurred because the occupant seating positions were in direct line with the crash forces. NTSB stated that seat belts would not have prevented most of the serious injuries and fatalities from occurring in school bus crashes.

stmom

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 11:04 am

Last edited by stmom on Tue, Jun 26 2007, 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total

cindy324

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 11:52 am
Quote:
As for other people's kids I do not take responsibility for whether they r in a correct car-seat. If their parent wants me do them a favour an take them to Gan then its up to them to put their own kid in my car an supply and fit the car-seat. If they dont have one an they still want me to take their kid I will.

My Dh NEVER allows ANY child that needs to ride in a car seat into his car if there's no carseat available. Not on the parent's lap, no way, no how.

Is it against the law for children to ride without a carseat in England? Bacause if yes, aren't you nervous about being pulled over by a cop? You can get a huge ticket here in the US!

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 11:57 am
Quote:

Where I live, the driver will get a big ticket and points if anyone under 16 is not wearing a seatbelt. Or if babies are not in car seats or booster seats. It has nothing to do with it's their own kid or not, it's the driver's responsibility.

ChavieK

Post Sat, Jan 13 2007, 9:44 pm
I spoke to an expert on carseats & she reccomended the Graco sport. I asked about the Britax & she said they are no safer than some other ones. She likes the Graco because it's just as plush as the Britax.

mumoo

Post Sat, Jan 13 2007, 9:56 pm
stmom wrote:
I was never makpid in a car seat. there were times I took my daughter out of it and held her when she was fussy. but now 1 1/2 years later from my car accident I never take her out cuz this is what saved her life..NEVER TRAVEL WITHOUT ONE!!!

I'm glad to hear you are makpid now, b"H she is alright!

When my babies fussed/were hungry in the can and dh was driving, I learned how to nurse them in the back seat while they were strapped in the seat.

Of course, I wasn't safe, but sometimes, a two minute drink was all it took to help them sleep on long rides.

BennysMommy

Post Mon, Jun 04 2007, 2:08 am
I am in the same situation as many of the above amothers. we dont have a car here and I walk almost everywhere. when I do go in a car its usually a taxi. theres nowhere to put a carseat once I arrive at my destination. so the solution is a tote n go? well many of the taxis here dont even have seatbelts! this country is so lax on safety it makes me want to scream. when I first came here I said I would never ever go in a car with my son without a carseat. now, six months later, my son outgrew his infant carseat and im finding myself in cars holding him on my lap. it scares me but its so easy to get used to the standards of another place. its ridiculous what I have seen here. it makes me so sad when I see cars packed with kids and adults without seatbelts, babies on laps in FRONT seats, children hanging out of the backs of trucks. I saw someone get on a motorbike holding a baby that looked like it was not even a month old! I just dont get it. its the scariest thing for me. I dont know what to do. I have to buy my son a carseat but I dont know which one. I read a lot of reviews and most of these "portable" carseats are hard to install. how is that good for a taxi? my son is about 23 lbs. anyone have any good suggestions? does anyone have any personal experience with those kind of carseats?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics