Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby crawling
1  2  Next

Rochel Leah

Post Sat, May 01 2004, 10:38 pm
My 11 month old hasn't started to crawl yet, he just sits and smiles. I know each baby has their own timetable and eventually will star but is there something I can do to guide him ?

Yael

Post Mon, May 10 2004, 7:34 pm
put him on his stomach more often. eventually he'll get it that if he wants something he'll have to go and get it. put toys just out of his reach so he has to work hard to reach it. and just relax about the whole thing. many babies crawl late. appreciate the fact that he's not crawling everywhere and getting into trouble yet. makes your life a little easier.

proudmom

Post Thu, Jul 22 2004, 12:30 pm
I agree with Yael 100%. as soon as my daughter started to crawl (she started crawling really late) she was into everything. When she wasnt crawling she was a little angel and then when the crawling began I had to start child proofing my house.

Liba

Post Tue, Aug 10 2004, 11:27 am
Rochel Leah is you baby crawling and pulling to a stand already? I hope so but would love to share my experiences with you if he isn't yet. My six year old was delayed at all her milestones.

Rochel Leah

Post Sat, Aug 21 2004, 9:39 pm
my baby didnt crawl. burt he moves around sitting on hi s toches. he does it pretty quickly and gets where he needs to. I tried putting him on his stomach but he thinks he is going to sleep, so he starts to cry. he doesnt put his weight on his feet yet, but he starting to try lift himself up.

liba it would be great to hear your experience with your daughter.

micki

Post Sun, Aug 22 2004, 2:10 pm
crawling is a very important milestone. it doesn't matter is they do it at 6 months or 6 years, its important they do it. it teaches coordination between hands and legs.
a 6 yr old child was very clumsy and had a very hard time at school putting together math problems which required him to use coordination. a very smart therapist recognized that he never crawled and actually taught him how at age 6. e improved dramatically!!!
so teach your kid to crawl, even if they are already walking!!!

Rochel Leah

Post Sun, Aug 22 2004, 2:52 pm
My son hasnt started walking yet- should I wait till he starts walking to teach him to crawl, cuz now its impossible?

I don't know if this same type of coordination gained, but my son is pretyy coordinated when it comes to puting covers on bottles or putting shapes into thebox with the cutout shapes- I would think this logic would help well with math in later years?

micki

Post Sun, Aug 22 2004, 3:24 pm
your dealing with 3 seperate subjects- your son how old is he? appears to have great fine motor skills- skills involoving the fingers like grasping chherios and putting covers on bottles.
then you have gross motor skills which are like cutting with scissors, a remedy to teach the muscles in the hands how to work is playing with play dough or making challa (when my son does it never gets to be baked he just loves kneading and twisting)
then you have cooridination- which basiclly involves the use of hand and legs and body. how to swing a bat when you see the ball coming, how to step over a toy etc...
crawling teaches coordination. if your son has skipped the crawling stage and is already walking then obviously teach it then, but if he doesn't walk yet,(6-11 months) on his own to get from place to place then put him on his stomach, have someone help you get his legs bent, on his knees and raise him to have his elbows straight. then rock him- push on his tush back and forth. take a leg and push it while pulling the OPPOSITE arm. repeat this for as long as you have his attention. do this every day. until he crawls. it will take a few months- but worth it.
if your kid is old enough to follow commands, then get down and tell him to copy you. you may have to guide him by moving his limbs. play crawling games once a day because he won't want to crawl once he has the thrill of walking!
good luck

Rochel Leah

Post Sun, Aug 22 2004, 3:32 pm
Thanks I'll try it.

My son is 14 months old

micki

Post Sun, Aug 22 2004, 3:38 pm
since he isn't walking and yet hes old enough to follow simple commands, I think you should focus on the crawling. don't hold his hands to walk, don't enourage that. get him to crawl first- and if he can crawl alone for a month before he walks- it'll be so much better for him.

Liba

Post Mon, Aug 23 2004, 2:06 pm
I think that at this point I would ask for a pediatric physical therapy evaluation. A good PT is a great help for a child who has gross motor delays. They will have games to play and fun ways to distract a child while at the same time getting them to work and use muscles in the right way to learn to crawl and walk.

My oldest has low muscle tone and is still getting physical and occupational therapy. It is a huge help and she is quite functional despite things being a little harder for her. Smile She is going into first grade.

If your son is lying on his back and you pull him up by his hards does his head stay level with his body?

Do they have "early intervention" in Canada? Here the therapists will come to your home for evaluations and treatment if the child is under three.

If you would like to talk email me liba@charter.net and I can email you my phone number.

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Aug 26 2004, 8:36 pm
Micki, I know its too early too tell. I am still going to try with helping my baby crawl.
I spoke with a friend of mine whose kid is in first grade now. she said her baby waddled like my baby does. And she has no problem with coordination and math.Of course every babys different , so is not crawling a definate proof for uncoordination. Personally I am so uncordinated and I crawled.

I have tried doing what you said I do it when he is in a good mood and gently.
but he totally doesnt go for it. he tightens his legs and won't let me touch them.
Liba, In canada we do not have early intervention. I know in New York everyone runs to therepy for this and that, partly cuz it is for free. If they do have it here its not covered by our goverment health plan, we would need our own Health Insurance. ( Bh I have)

I spoke to my ped about this issue and he told me it doesn't look like my son has strong muscles in his leg, and beleive it or not give him Ice cream- It has the milk, fat etcc... to give him more strength.

I did give him some ice cream, but would rather not , yael told me to give him more protien which should add strength.but he is a picky eater and only eats what he likes and in very small portions. thats another issue in itself.

Rochel Leah

Post Tue, Sep 21 2004, 11:02 am
Guess what everybody!!! my son lifted himself up and stood today on his own for the first time- he is 15 months so you can see why I am ecstatic...when he did it I said 'yay' with a big smile on my face and he just did it again and again, cuz he saw how happy I was.he was cheering himself on too screaming "yay". it was the cutest thing.... now lets see when he will start walking....my dear late bloomer...

proudmom

Post Tue, Sep 21 2004, 11:25 am
Mazal Tov! I am so happy.

zuncompany

Post Tue, Sep 21 2004, 2:12 pm
mazel tov!!!

fyi... I never crawled and am good at math
sara

BelovedBird

Post Wed, Sep 22 2004, 6:59 am
As I understand it crawling is not a necesery developemental milestone.

Mazal Tov RL on the baby walking!

Tefila

Post Mon, Jan 10 2005, 2:17 pm
Hooray my twin son crawled propely Today, I am so excited!
My husband and I were on the floor crawling after him you probably can guess who was the best crawler though LOL
My twin daughter will any day now, uh oh trouble ahead Very Happy

zuncompany

Post Mon, Jan 10 2005, 2:50 pm
I caught tev rocking on all fours today. I wanted to cry!!!

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Jan 10 2005, 9:16 pm
mazal tov, everbody!!!

fyi, my daughter didn't crawl proprly & had disbalance in her leg strength, so later she used to fall a lot & needed therapy to strengthen the other leg

Last edited by ForeverYoung on Wed, Jan 12 2005, 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Pearl

Post Wed, Jan 12 2005, 7:58 am
My son is exactly 10 months old. He doesn't crawl, he doesn't pull himself up...My girls did do that at that age, so I am a bit worried, as I have heard about the "complications" later on in life.
At this point, it is very reassuring other moms have to deal with this too!!!
So I will also follow your reactions Smile !
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics