Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Bored of just plain brownies...

Kmommy18

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 11:37 am
I'm going to make duncan hynes brownies but I was wondering if there was anything I could add or do to them to make them more interesting? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

su7kids

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 11:44 am
why don't you try and do something from scratch? Smells nicer, less chemicals, and very different!

I love baking from scratch.

Duncan Hines themselves has some great ideas, though:
http://www.duncanhines.com/DHP.....tID=4

frummom

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 11:47 am
put half the batter in the pan, freeze for 20 min. or so, cover with raspberry jam, then put the rest of the batter on top and bake.

YUM!

Kmommy18

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 11:47 am
Thanx for the link... I'd love to bake something from scratch, but I don't have enough time... I know that sounds ironic since I'm on the computer now, but its cuz I'm waiting to take something out of the oven so I can put in something else...

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 11:56 am
first of all, there are several kinds of Dunch Hines brownie mixes. you might want to look for a new kind.

2ndly, you can swirl the top with either choc sauce - makes it fudgy without frosting, or a raspberry sauce (I bought one for that purpose) which is also nice.

do you all like nuts or cocnut ? you can add some.

do you have any chocolate chip cookie mixes in the house? you can put that on top . .

does the idea of a mississipp mud pie interest you? it's a little more work . . . .

lastly, have you checked out the duncan hines website?

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 12:25 pm
1 package chewy brownie mix (recommended: Duncan Hines)
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Prepare the brownie mix according to the package directions. Pour batter into a greased 9 by 13-inch pan. Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the pecans and sugar and cook, over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar dissolves. Drizzle the caramel mixture over brownie batter and bake until a toothpick can be inserted and withdrawn cleanly, 25 to 30 minutes.

Kmommy18

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 12:57 pm
Chocolate moose, the missisippi mud pie sounds very yummy... do you have a recipe for it?

MMEC123

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 3:36 pm
1. mix peanut butter with a drop of vanilla (to make it a little more liquidy). put on top of the brownie batter in pan & swirl around. yum!

2. I saw a recipe for mint glaze for brownies. see if google has anything. put mint glaze then chocolate frosting on top. I want to try this when I get around to it.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 4:15 pm
KMommy, I'll get it for you, bli neder.

Here are 2 versions (both are very rich)

from Make a Mix:
MISSISSIPPI MUD PIE
You make the brownies, regular, but with nuts and coconut. Youbake regualr and add 7 zo. marshmallow creme when still hot. When cool, frost with Choc Icing:

You bring the folllowing to the boil: 1/4 cup marg., 3 T soymilk, and 2 T cocoa powder. Remove from heat, add 1 3/4 cup powdered sugar. Mix until smooth and pour on top of your brownies.

FROM DUNCAN HINES THEMSEVLES
Marshamallow CRispie Bars
1 pkge bownie mix
10 1/2 oz marshamllows (use the marshmallow creme)
1 1/2 cups choc chips
1 Cup peanut butter, any kind
1T marg
1 1/2 cups rice ceral

You preheat your oven to 350 and grease a 9 by 13 pan. Prepare and bake brownies regular. Put marshmallows on top and return to oven for three minutes to melt, or spready your marsh creme on top.

Combine your choc chips, the pb, and marg in saucepan and cookon low heat, stirring constantly, until chips are melted. OR yu could nuke. Add your ceral, mixing well. Spread mixture over marshamllow layer in pan. Chill until serving.

Combine chocolate chips,

queen

Post Sat, Jan 13 2007, 7:54 pm
bake the brownies- but add in only 2 eggs, not three. (you want harder brownies, not cakey.)
slice into bars. (three inches long, by only 1 inch across)
dip one end into melted chocolate, and then immediately into either nuts or sprinkles. Let dry.
Very pretty.

shopaholic

Post Sat, Jan 13 2007, 10:05 pm
Ok. I have one to die for.

1 DH brownie mix

bake according to directions on package

Mint Cream:

2 c confectioners sugar
1/2 c margarine, softened
1 T water
1/2 to 3/4 t mint extract
3 drops of green food coloring

Mix all together & spread over brownie when brownie has cooled

Chocolate Topping:

6T margarine
1 c chocolate chips

Melt together & spread over mint

Refrigerate to let the chocolate set. Take out of refrigerator before cutting to let chocoalte melt a little or you can cut it properly

You can substitute the mint cream for peanut butter cream:

1/3 c pb
3 T margarine
1.5 c confectioners sugar
2T milk or non dairy creamer

This one isn't as big a hit.

mumof1

Post Sun, Jan 14 2007, 2:26 am
mom of 3, I do the same, with the mint cream.
then I cut it into small squares and put a chocolate covered bean on each one it looks like pretty miniatures.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins