Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Kosher hotels in NY

Ruchel

Post Sat, Jan 06 2007, 5:44 pm
Which ones are good? We have heard of Midwood Suites?

Also, it would be nice if the hotel had food for shabbes. Preferably in a Jewish area with a shul in close walking distance, kosher restaurants...

Thank you!
(it would be for August or beginning of September, if it is of any help).

bluesclues

Post Sat, Jan 06 2007, 5:46 pm
Avenue plaza in boro park 13th ave its really nice

shoy18

Post Sat, Jan 06 2007, 6:55 pm
I would suggest Avenue Plaza, its the only "proper Hotel" in brooklyn the only other one I know of is in an assited living place, and if you google Midwood suites its a house not a hotel. Just remember Brookyln, Manhattan are all overflowing with kosher restaurants and takeout, you can stay in a real hotel in manhattan and be able to eat in 100 different restaurants and buy an entire shabbos from a takeout place.

gryp

Post Sat, Jan 06 2007, 7:20 pm
Ruchel, are you coming to visit? Wink

batya_d

Post Sat, Jan 06 2007, 8:56 pm
If you are coming for a vacation in NYC, don't stay in Boro Park just because there is a kosher restaurant in the hotel. Esp. if you will be visiting with a baby, you won't want to have to take the subway every day into the city to visit all the sightseeing attractions.

There are plenty of hotels in Manhattan with literally DOZENS of kosher restaurants within walking distance. Several of them offer pre-paid Shabbos meals, Park East Grill comes to mind.

shoy18

Post Sat, Jan 06 2007, 8:59 pm
batya_d wrote:

There are plenty of hotels in Manhattan with literally DOZENS of kosher restaurants within walking distance. Several of them offer pre-paid Shabbos meals, Park East Grill comes to mind.

I was going to mention the prepaid shabbos but I wasnt sure if they do it on a regular shabbos I know on yom tov alot of them do

withhumor

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 8:28 am
Ruchel, there’s no question about it, one night you are totally ours! Um, for shabbos I would stay in Boro park at either the Avenue Plaza, or the Park house Hotel just so you can stay in bed and do nothing and have yourself a shabbos meal and everything is so convenient. Also, to see Boro Park on shabbos is a sight to behold if you can compare it to 15 minutes before the zman and 15 minutes after, it’s incredible. We had non-frum relatives over at our home and after that incredible experience; they started keeping some parts of shabbos, just from being inspied1

Anyway, all week you should stay in a cheap hotel in Manhattan since you’ll be out all day anyway. Have a blast and PM me as I’m a NYC enthusiast and I can tell you what’s yummy and fun. See you!

batya_d

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 11:20 pm
withhumor wrote:
Um, for shabbos I would stay in Boro park at either the Avenue Plaza, or the Park house Hotel just so you can stay in bed and do nothing and have yourself a shabbos meal and everything is so convenient.

No offense meant, it's a sweet offer and all, but she could stay in bed and do nothing anywhere; I wouldn't fly to Paris to lounge around a hotel. But that's just me, maybe if it's a belated honeymoon it would be a diff. story. I can certainly say that the dairy restaurant at the Avenue Plaza on 13th in BP is delicious.

Who's arranging the meet when Ruchel comes to visit? I'm so there. Wink

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 1:16 pm
If she wants cheap, she should stay in Jersey. That's what my sister does when she comes.

tzipp

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 2:24 pm
Very Happy what's the point of coming to NY if you stay in NJ?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 5:07 pm
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

it's just to sleep, anyway.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 5:51 am
Thank you for all the answers ladies !!! and I would definitely love to meet you !

GR
: yup, definitely ! We are coming this summer, and 99% sure it will be in NY.

Batya : the last time I was in NY, I was in Queens and it was quite long to go to interesting places ! Is Boro Park that far ?
Maybe the best idea is a hotel in Manhattan if there’s everything in walking distance.

By the way you’re right, it’s the belated honeymoon as I became pregnant before being able to go. We still don’t know if we’re staying 1 week or 10ish days and if we go somewhere else before or after (we want to go to LA, Las Vegas and the islands but at least two of these will be for next summer) since we’re also going to Israel the same summer.

Withhumor : I’ll definitely pm you when I know more about where & when we’ll come !

Chocolate moose: how far is jersey from NY?

batya_d

Post Sun, Jan 14 2007, 12:00 am
My opinion is, if you're coming to New York to sight see, and you're already splurging on the trip, you should stay in the city. Boro Park is a good train ride away, as is New Jersey, and if you will be traveling with an infant, it's all about accessability.

There are plenty of more affordable hotels in Manhattan, you don't have to stay at the Ritz or the Walorf.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics