Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Head bump

gryp

Post Sat, Jan 13 2007, 7:40 pm
Have you ever seen an enormous bump and bruise swell up before your eyes in a split second? (is that normal?)

Tefila

Post Sat, Jan 13 2007, 7:52 pm
When it gets like that it is always good to check it out. We had that with one of the kids who ran into the corner of the room, and by the time they got seen by the Dr in the waiting room it had already started to go down abit. Yes it's frightening.

gryp

Post Sat, Jan 13 2007, 7:55 pm
Tefilah, what did the doctor do to check it out?

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 13 2007, 8:20 pm
been there . . . . .

ChavieK

Post Sat, Jan 13 2007, 9:04 pm
Bumps to the head swell very fast. They are usualy nothing, but can't hurt to check it out.

shopaholic

Post Sat, Jan 13 2007, 9:47 pm
...done that
Happens to my kids all the time. And the 2 younger ones won't let me put ice on it. It goes down after a day or so. Just don't let them go to sleep afterwards for at least an hour & keep an eye on them that they aren't drousy or complaining of a headache.

Tefila

Post Sat, Jan 13 2007, 10:07 pm
GR they look at the eyes and then ask the child questions to make sure that they are coherant. I was then just told to watch that they aren't dizzy or anything and not to put them to sleep for awhile. B"h all was well and it went down after a couple of so days... poor kid Crying

Jo

Post Sun, Jan 14 2007, 3:39 am
Very common to get swelling after a bump.
Things to look out for....and worrying signs include

History of loss of consciousness at the time of the bump...
Drowsy, lethargy - not able to wake them up easily
Vomiting, especially if it is persistent
Headache
Irritable
Fitting

hadasa

Post Sun, Jan 14 2007, 4:37 am
Cold margarine or butter works better than anything else to get the bump to go down. Some kindergartens and playgroups keep a package in the fridge just for this purpose.

gryp

Post Sun, Jan 14 2007, 8:40 am
thanx everyone. I almost called hatzalah, it looked so bad. it blew up in a second into an enormous bump with a bruise in the middle, it looked like a welt. I was worried because it blew up so fast and because it was soft in the middle- I could make in indent with my finger. I called the doctor instead who told me it's fine, he probably broke a blood vessel in there. I kept him up for a few hours to make sure he's himself and then put him to bed. he looks fine now, you can barely even see the bump. oh yeah, this happened to my 17 month old who walked into the wall.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics