Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Quality of Living or CASH, which do you prefer?`

amother

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 5:44 pm
Do you think it's more important to have DH work more and bring home the bucks, or to to spend time with the family?

ny21

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 5:54 pm
when the kids are small its more important to spend time with the family.

Marion

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 12:58 am
I think it depends on the situation. If he needs to work more to keep food in their tummies and a roof over their heads, then working is more important. If it's for "extras", then the best extra is having time with him.

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 1:11 am
Depends.
If you have enough to live a decent life; home secure and comfortable, tasty food, clothing that you are happy to wear, enough funds to cover medical care etc. and a bit extra for fun, then, less time, more dh.

What good is the money if you aren't there to enjoy it with your family?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 6:47 am
is this anonymous poster trying to tell us something?

Mitzvahmom

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 6:53 am
Everyone has choices to make in life.

The first year I left my ex husband, I worked as a Mashgicha. The pay was EXCELLENT, did I ever see my kids?? NO! Plus once I calculated out the cost of travel and the babysitters I really was not gaining I was loosing.

Now, with careful budgeting (BUDGETING), I work part time (alot less pay) and I go to college and I still have time to do activities with the kids!

I think it really depends on the person and the family.

mumof1

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 11:50 am
everyone is different.
I have friends who want designer jewlery and new cars, so their hubby has to work 24/7 so they can keep up.
I cannot give an unbiased opinion here as my parents support me fully and very nicely dh is in kollel and college.
I hope that one day when I do have a working hubby, and no $$ from my parents that family time will come before a lavish lifestyle.
btw, op, if you are talking about working to pay for food or basic neccesities, its ok.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 12:46 pm
I think there's a balance somewhere in the middle - we just need to have the wisdom to know where and when

amother

Post Mon, Jan 08 2007, 3:01 pm
I guess it all depends upon priorities. I can do without designer xy and z but I cant do without spending time with my dh and kids besides after necessities of housing, food, clothing and education I dont really need much materialism. I am not saying this to brag its just my nature. I learned at a ealy age to be samach bechelko but to me family time and real quality of living can never be replace by materalism and luxeries. I have also found being surrounded by rich friends that very few pple who are always chasing the newest and best xyz are anywhere near happy when they obtain whatever that thing is, its always on to the next and bigger and more.

Sunangel

Post Sun, Jan 14 2007, 7:27 am
Making money and having a successful career are two differnt things. My husband and I spend long hours at work not becuase we make more money. I am a salaried worker and get paid per year for the job not per hour. However, I stay late and put in extra hours because I believe in the work I do and I want to do a good job. I want my superiors to see my efforts and my abilities. Its not about the money, its about improving my performance becuase I believe in doing the best I can at what I am doing...so does my husband.

brooklyn

Post Sun, Jan 14 2007, 7:33 am
It depends on the individual circumstanses. Sometimes there is no choice. If you have to work 2 jobs to cover rent/mortgage, tuition and bills, then you do what you have to do. If you are working to support the more expensive cars and the hotels for Pesach and Succot and other not so basic needs then maybe more home time is needed. Of course you can say that going away for Pesach allows the family to enjoy the chag instead of killing yourself to clean..... The answer will be different for every family.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics