Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Learning:?:

Nechama

Post Sun, Oct 17 2004, 10:35 pm
Does anyone here learn on their own? There are no shiurim here for Frummies, so I have to do my learning on my own. I would rather learn with others, and not teaching, I do plenty of that and basically it amounts to learning on my own lol.
Anyone *learning* Tanya? Not saying chitas. Learning perek by perek.
Or kabbalistic sefarim?
Or Parsha or Tehillim perek by perek. Ayn Yacov?
Other idea?
Anyone?
Please!
you can PM me.

CS

Post Sun, Oct 17 2004, 10:57 pm
Nechama - where is "here"?

Nechama

Post Sun, Oct 17 2004, 11:10 pm
LOL CS
'Here' is where I live. I prefer not to disclose that Smile
If I tell you where I live you will know who I am. Then I would not be anonymous.
There are no classes for frum people in the entire metropolitan area of where I live. Not regularly, not for the level of learning I have. Not unless I teach/organize them. And we are very geographically spread apart.
:::sigh:::
Do you have a desire to learn on line? Chevrusa?

CS

Post Sun, Oct 17 2004, 11:16 pm
sorry Nechama - didn't mean to pry. By the way, what does LOL mean? I am so interested in finding a chavrusa - I have very little background or formal education in Chassidus - I would make a terrible online chavrusa

JewishMother18

Post Mon, Oct 18 2004, 2:30 am
Have you searched the internet?

There is so much out there in cyberspace that it's almost impossible NOT to find what you are looking for.

I decided to do an initial search for you and found this:
http://www.denverkollel.org/ar......html

Of course I don't know where you are but you could contact the email address within the newsletter and I'm sure they can put you in touch with someone.

And this one might also be a good lead:
http://www.shomreiemunah.us/ch......html

Good luck

CS

Post Mon, Oct 18 2004, 9:08 am
Jewish Mother - thanks for the tips - I'll follow up on those.

gryp

Post Mon, Oct 18 2004, 12:34 pm
I say chitas every day online on www.chabad.org

theres no chumash in hebrew so I have to say that afterwards, but the Tanya is great! its lessons in Tanya so you can reall learn it easily. sefer hamitzvos is in english too.

www.sichosinenglish.org/books has millions of things to learn and all in english! it has everything from a complete set of likutei sichos in english to halacha to stories to hashkafa! a real wealth of knowledge!

Motek

Post Mon, Oct 18 2004, 1:11 pm
in addition to what was posted earlier, here's some more online learning:

Nechama - this is higher level learning, though also good for those who don't have much background:

http://www.beverlyhillschabad.com/MAIMER.HTM

there are also lots and lots of shiurim here:

http://jewishaudio.org/

and y.y.jacobson's Tanya shiurim here:

http://www.chassidus.com/audio/tayj/

LOL is laugh out loud

Tefila

Post Mon, Oct 18 2004, 4:48 pm
Hi Nechama I am in a similar situation to you. So what I do is subscribe to chabad.org which sends me loads of materials and I do say tehillim , sometimes chitas embarrassed and yes I would love an online chavrusa Smile

mommy2

Post Mon, Oct 18 2004, 8:45 pm
hi if u both want to learn together have u ever heard of skype.com? It's basically like a telephone over the computer, if u both have a mic (it's very cheap to buy) and speakers then u can call each other for free and learn together.

Nechama

Post Tue, Oct 19 2004, 2:29 am
Thank you Motek. And RG.
I get a lot of shiurim over the internet. And I regularly visit sites that don't send their shiurim out.
I alos learn on my own at home.
I give classes weekly.
I want to learn chevrusa style. I want to learn with another in addition to what I learn on-line.
Chabad.org has many shiurim
Chofetz Chaim sends them out too.
Midreshet
Nishmat
Meru
Inner.org
Drisha
A Still Small Voice
etc.
I want interactive. So it is not just me and my interpretations of what I learn.
But again, I do plenty of 'teaching', so I don't want to present what I know to another. Interactive. Another fertile brain.
Freilich, what are you interested in learning?
And was it CS? I'm sorry, I can't see the other posts right now.
Maybe a learning CHAT!!!!!!!!!!!

zuncompany

Post Tue, Oct 19 2004, 11:42 am
I would love to but I don't understand yiddish and my hebrew is horrible now. I love learning sichas and mimers and would love to learn more. I really don't enjoy learning on my own even though it seems to be what I do the most. A friend of mine and I worked great together... she translated for me and than we learned it together. I miss those learning sessions. Where I live I really have nobody to learn with. I could learn with a shlucha, but they don't have time ever. The other ladies who are Lubavitch here and not shluchas are not on the same learning level as I am. The one woman who is... my husband doesn't let.
Sara

CS

Post Tue, Oct 19 2004, 5:35 pm
I don't like learning on my own either - I need the interaction of ideas with somebody. I find people are just busy - it's hard to find a chavrusa. Unlike you Nechama, I need someone who's much more learned than me - Idon't have hebrews skills - davening is a challenge

When I was single, I always had a chavrusa - I was always excited about learning and about yiddischkeit. They say that if you aren't growing, you're moving the other way. I really have to get on top of this.

Nechama

Post Tue, Oct 19 2004, 10:24 pm
I would like to reiterate what RG (I think) and Motek said about sites.
There are many sites where one can learn on-line. And to make life even easier, many sites can deliver the learning right to your e-mail!!
Chabad.org alone has three sichos a week.
Tanya
Hayom Yom
Rambam either three perakim, or one perek a day
The daily mitzva (sefer hamitzvos)
Comment
Daily Dose
etc...
Chofetzchaimusa has shiurim
inner.org does
And these are just the ones that deliver!!!
Check out the sites listed by all posters!

zuncompany

Post Tue, Oct 19 2004, 11:01 pm
I get those... like I said... I hate learning by myself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics