Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Mushy potato kugel

frummom

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 9:49 am
I used to make a great potato kugel - and then I got a food processor with a kugel blade. why is it so mushy now, and how can I fix it? any ideas welcome - I'm going nuts!

withhumor

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 9:51 am
How do you like it? We like it gooey like marshmallow fluff! I add water to it to make it even gooier.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 9:52 am
FM, maybe you shoudl go back to your old way of makingit.

frummom

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 9:57 am
I can't go back to the old way - I threw out the old food processor (it died). I like it solid - so when you take it out of the pan it doesn't fall all over the place.

withhumor

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 9:58 am
Try less eggs.

frummom

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 10:02 am
okay, here's what I do - mix up 2 or 3 eggs with oil, salt and pepper - process a big onion and around 9 potatoes - mix it together with some flour - pour into a pan with hot oil and bake at 350 for about 1 1/2 hours. what am I doing wrong? (it tastes pretty good!)

withhumor

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 10:16 am
Flour? I always do 80% eggs to potato. So 7 potato I use 5 eggs. I never put flour but I add about 30 oz. of water to take off the rubbery texture. It also depends on the potatoes that you use. I use the huge Idaho potatoes, best quality or it tastes like sardines UGGG!

For 9 potatoes I’d use 6 eggs and no flour. Then, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 2 teaspoons salt and oil I pour. Same water though. YUMMMMMMMMMM call me when it’s done because I made me done eating mine up by then.

frummom

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 10:18 am
why doesn't the water make it even mushier?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 10:24 am
are you grinding the potatoes or grating them?

we use the grating blade, not the grinding one.don't ask how many years it too us to figure THAT one out.

Mevater

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 10:37 am
chocolate moose wrote:
are you grinding the potatoes or grating them?

we use the grating blade, not the grinding one.don't ask how many years it too us to figure THAT one out.

Which food processor are you talking about? Which is the grating blade- the one with the pointy protrusions that gets put onto the white round disc on the Braun? Which do you call the grinding blade- the "S" blade?

frummom

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 10:47 am
I use the braun, and I thought that the one I use that goes in the disc was called a kugel blade - the other one that goes in the disc is the grating blade, but it makes the pieces too big. is that the problem - I'm grinding?

Last edited by frummom on Fri, Jan 12 2007, 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 10:48 am
I have a regal la machine #2.

the grinding blade sits in the bowl and grinds everything up, like chopped liver.

there are 2 other blades that sit between the food pusher and the bowl. one is slicing and the other is shredding or grating.

I use the shredding/grating blade.

does that help?

MOM222

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 12:28 pm
Add more eggs,
And grate it on number 8. The higher you grate it the quicker it goes, the mushier it gets.

mumof1

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 2:37 pm
I hand grate mine add a bunch of eggs, a lot of oil and some salt.
I bake it in a glass pyrex so it gets nice and crunchy on the outside and mushy inside.
dh loves it. I also drop one in foil into the chulent.
its great.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes