Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Constipated on a low carb high protein diet

amother

Post Tue, Jul 09 2013, 8:22 pm
I recently started a low carb diet and have since been constantly constipated. I don't get it. I eat salad every day. Granted its mostly iceberg lots of fresh fruit. Etc.

Should there be any correlation to low carb basically no grains diet and constipation anyone have any good tricks to get things going ?

imamiri

Post Tue, Jul 09 2013, 8:36 pm
amother wrote:
I recently started a low carb diet and have since been constantly constipated. I don't get it. I eat salad every day. Granted its mostly iceberg lots of fresh fruit. Etc.

Should there be any correlation to low carb basically no grains diet and constipation anyone have any good tricks to get things going ?

I've read in a few places that people who low carb often run into this problem. Make sure you are getting plenty of water. If you are just packing away the fiber and not enough water, you'll create constipation. And vitamin C is supposed to help as well.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jul 09 2013, 8:38 pm
Lots of water and a strong cup of coffee each day make a huge difference for me. Also regular exercise and a dose of miralax twice a week or so help too.

marina

Post Tue, Jul 09 2013, 8:40 pm
how is fresh fruit low carb?

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Jul 09 2013, 8:49 pm
Tablespoon of olive oil.

Also, "Senna" a product you can buy in the drugstore.

chani8

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 4:01 am
I mentioned this issue on another recent thread about low carbing. It's a serious issue. I explained to my family that if they don't make a poop even for one day, to take a (natural) laxative. One DD got very constipated and very sick from this low carb diet, at first.

I found strict low-carbing easiest by eating soups. The food digested easier and I got the added liquid.

Also, I seriously doubt that you are eating enough food, so it's just not getting pushed through. Please, if you're new to this, track your calories too. The newest news on low carbing is that you do need to track calories, too. It makes it hard to sell the diet, because no one wants to count calories, but it makes a big difference in health and well being and longevity of the diet. Experts are also saying to choose healthy fats, not friying your food, or eating mega amounts of high cholesteral fatty foods.

mandksima

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 4:42 am
I agree. I did Atkins for a year or so. Eat a lot of veggie soups. Maybe switch your meager amount of carbs to include one or two pieces of dried fruit. After going Paleo, I've never had that issue. The diets are similar in some ways so it seems you are not eating enough vegetables. Iceberg lettuce doesn't cut it. Where are you getting your vitamins/minerals from?

I don't drink a ton of water either. Mostly after exercize and first thing in the morning. My diet is so high content veg/fruit based that I rarely need more. If this is not a diet that you can do forever, it may not be the diet for you. You shouldn't feel like you're dieting and you should be eating a huge variety of vegetables.

naomi2

Post Wed, Jul 10 2013, 12:33 pm
atkins diet recommends daily doses of psylium fiber or flax meal to avoid this problem.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise