Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Babysitter/housekeeper vs. daycare

Sunangel

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 3:54 pm
I am trying to weigh the options of getting a full time babysitter/housekeeper or putting my yet unborn baby in daycare when I have to return to work after maternity leave. How much does a full time babysitter/housekeeper generally cost and how much do good daycares cost. What have you tried and what has worked for you? Where have your children been happier? where do you feel they are safer? Any advice would be appreciated.

mimsy7420

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 4:36 pm
since a small baby can't really interact with friends I say go for the housekeeper/babysitter who can clean while you are at work. At least that way you will have a clean house when you come home and can go straight to playing with the baby and not worrying about washing the dishes.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 4:43 pm
new born babies need thier mommies. if they cant have that then at least it should be ONE other loving person who hols them and feeds and changes them whenever needed (which is alot sometimes all day.....) So, I def think someone in the house and NOT daycare. in daycares kids get sick, dont get enuf attention etc

Nicole

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 4:45 pm
My baby is 6 mnths old, ba'h, and I agonized over what to do when I went back to school almost 6 weeks potpartum.
I found that in my area, it would cost about $8-$10 per hour to have a babysitter come to the house and do some LIGHT housekeeping, and I think the daycares were about $6 -$7 per hour. We ended up hiring a babysitter bec for the couple of dollars difference, why should we have to shlep our baby out every morning, (hard for us, and hard for her) also, this way I have a LITTLE household help (dishes, laundry folding...) which is good bec Im quite busy with schoolwork.
It IS getting to be expensive, but when we were considering switching to daycare for this semester, we nixed it since both my husband and I leave the house too early in the AM to take our daughter to a daycare even if we wanted to, AND our baby LOVES the sitter and knows her so well already... I'm too much of a softy to just drop her off at some place (even if it's frum) and know that she's probably scared....
An alternative to reduce babysitter costs, (if you want to go that route) is to share a babysitter with a friend or neighbor. That way you each pay a little less, but you have to work out where she'll babysit, what to do if one of your kids have a cold/ is sick... etc.
Hatzlacha, and it should all be b'shaah tovah u'mitzlachas!

amother

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 8:45 pm
I have no idea how much daycare is, but I paid $350 a week for a non-jewish babysitter, for nearly 50 hours a week which is a good deal.

It can get expensive, it really depends on your income. If you can afford to have the private babysitter, then go for it. My baby blossomed from being with the sitter in my home and was so much happier. I didn't lose out on precious time or sleep because I didn't have to drop off and pick up the baby. I loved coming home to a clean house and never washing dishes. I saved money on not hiring a cleaning lady. Dh and I fought less because we had more time to focus on each other and the baby.

My baby did extremely well being in a familiar environment with the same person giving her undivided attention. I felt a lot more secure knowing all her needs were met. If I had to work again, as long as we could afford it, I would only ever have a babysitter in my home.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 8:29 am
That's a good point- the not having to shlep your baby out early in the morning to drop off at daycare. That and if the babysitter can do light houskeeping, it might be worth the few extra dollars an hour.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics