Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Purple cookbook cinnamon buns

mama247

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 7:57 pm
I promised my dd I'd make her the cinnamon buns from the purple cookbook. I don't have any apple juice. Can I replace it with orange juice? What else could I use?

BinahYeteirah

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 8:05 pm
Water works fine. If you want the added sweetness, you could add a bit more sugar.

mama247

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 10:12 pm
Thanks. I tried it with water. The dough is rising now. I'll let you know how it comes out. (dd better appreciate this - it's already after 1:00am! I know she will - that's why I'm doing it!)

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 7:04 am
Why are you using water? Do you want to make them hamotzie?

We alwlays use juice. Or mostly juice.

shopaholic

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 7:47 am
I always substitute OJ for AJ or vice versa & everything comes out fine. I would also avoid water so they aren't Hamotzi

mtb18

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 8:21 am
I've made the cinnamon buns from the purple cookbook with OJ when I didn't have AJ and they turned out just as yummy Cheers

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 8:58 am
I think oj is expensive.

queen

Post Sat, Jan 13 2007, 5:03 pm
I just made these cinn buns on Wed from the Spice and Spirit. THey always come out great!!!
Usually I'm very stingy with them and try to squeeze out as many cinn buns as I can get.... this time I decided to just make as the recipe suggests- about 36. I got big, soft beautiful buns this time and they are going fast!

about apple juice- Oj is interchangeable if AJ isn't available.
I'd stay away from water bec. of the hamotzie question.

mama247

Post Sun, Jan 14 2007, 12:04 pm
Whoops, I used water b/c that was the first and only response I got before I started making them. I didn't even think of the hamotzi issue!!! Oh well. They actually didn't come out so great but it had nothing to do with the lack of AJ. I was too tired to continue at 2:00am so I stuck the dough in the fridge over night and finished in the morning. The flavor was really good, but they were pretty dry. Not at all like they tasted when my sister made them. DD was happy anyway. I'll try again for next week. Thanks for all the tips everyone!

queen

Post Sun, Jan 14 2007, 3:24 pm
make sure to have apple juice this time!

(did you bring the dough back to room temperature before working with it again in the morning??? it takes hours for it to turn to room temp...)

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 14 2007, 5:12 pm
Queen, that's why I use a bread machine, the temperature is fixed.

queen

Post Sun, Jan 14 2007, 6:05 pm
I directed my Q towards the poster who mentioned about her putting the dough in the fridge over night and then it not turning out that great.

mama247

Post Sun, Jan 14 2007, 7:41 pm
queen wrote:
make sure to have apple juice this time!

(did you bring the dough back to room temperature before working with it again in the morning??? it takes hours for it to turn to room temp...)

Yeah, I did do that. I got up very early Friday morning, took the dough out of the fridge and didn't make the buns until after my kids went to school. I do it sometimes with my challah dough and it's never had a negative effect, but I got the feeling that this dough just wasn't meant to sit for so long. Anyway, I won't be doing that again. I just have to find a really big slot of time. These things take forever to make!

mama247

Post Sun, Jan 14 2007, 7:45 pm
Hey, I just noticed that I'm now a Senior Member of imamother! When did that happen? Does that mean I'm spending too much time on here? Don't I have something I should be doing . . . like making cinnamon buns!!!LOL

Tila

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 8:14 am
I tired that recipe with juice (anykind will do) and found it very dry. I have another one that I make but it is dairy and oh so gooey and mushy and worth the trouble and calories

mama247

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 9:13 am
Really? When my sister made them they were AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins