Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
It's all relative

yo'ma

Post Thu, Feb 09 2012, 6:57 am
I was talking to someone I met recently and I was telling her how I don't like the city because of all the people. She doesn't live in the city and she agreed and said also how everything is all so fast. I said, no, that's thing I can't stand, how slow everybody and everything is and with the amount of people. She looked at me like I was nuts, but I explained it with four words, I"m from New York LOL . It's all relative!!

One of my sisters who live in the midwest says she used to like brooklyn, but now realizes she doesn't like it so much because there's no space, there aren't really any backyards, yards, space in between houses, etc.. I said that's what I love about brooklyn, the space. It's all relative!!

What do you have that's good for one, but not for another because face it, "it's all relative"!!! Wink

crl

Post Thu, Feb 09 2012, 9:46 am
Well, it's similar, but I'm in the process of moving to Staten Island from a New Jersey suburb. From my perspective, the house is really compact and the yard is TINY. I'm used to huge lawns, more space, etc. and walking 15 minutes to shul is normal. When my husband moved to my town, he thought it was too big! ("What? I have to DRIVE to shul in the morning?! It's so far!"

Now, we're moving back to Staten Island, I feel like I'm losing space, my husband is returning to status quo, and all my friends in Brooklyn are like "Staten Island?! That's so suburban! You have so much space!"

It is what it is. Smile

Also, according to everyone outside of NY, I have a massive NY accent, while everyone in NY thinks I'm Canadian or something.

shanie5

Post Thu, Feb 09 2012, 7:34 pm
I have a friend who will say "can I come over early tomorrow to pick up s/t" and I'm thinking 'what, 6am?' and ask "whats early?" She says "11am"!!!

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Feb 09 2012, 7:55 pm
I grew up in miami, and we had a decent yard and a decent sized house. I moved to far rockaway, and I have NOTHING!! my yard is smaller than a 2x4, and if I want more, I have to pay an arm and a leg and who knows what else....
I would love to move to a quieter place, where I could get more bang for my buck....even far rockaway, which, in my book, is not as new yorky as brookly, is getting to be too much for me. too fast, too much going on.....I just want my outta town back!!

shanie5

Post Thu, Feb 09 2012, 10:44 pm
When I moved here from Brooklyn, I felt I moved to a nice SMALL jewish community. Another family moved here and was happy to live in such a LARGE jewish community!

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 25 2013, 3:24 pm
I speaking to my father today who lives in NY. He was saying how it got so cold, mid 60's and I said it's so warm today, high 50's. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics