Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Anyone own a house back to back or sideways w school/Shul?

amother

Post Mon, Aug 13 2012, 8:23 am
I’m living in the same house for 30 plus years, which is back to back with a Jewish school. I have a space of about 30 feet to the property line, as they do, between my house and the school, so there was always about 50 feet separating by bedroom windows from the school.

School needed to expand and because its cheaper to expand in the width rather than vertically, according to them, they are in the process of extending to their property line (gate dividing both properties) which will now be about 30 feet from my bedroom windows. They say that theyre allowed to do this because theyre a congregation.

Until now Ive heard the screeching and banging noises at 2 am and beyond of the cleaning crew moving and dropping desks and other furniture loudly in addition to loud music. Now I will hear it 30 feet closer. This affects my quality of life.

They are building a multi-story extension without a single permit. Totally illegal. According to a lawyer, even if they are allowed to build to the property line, they need neighbors permission to do this, in order to get a permit. They never asked or told us anything and went ahead to build without asking us or getting a single permit.

All this devalues my property substantially and my quality of life. My bedrooms are no longer bedrooms with the heavy moving done at all hours, now newly drastically closer to the classrooms, all planned and done illegally, without a single permit.

Help- will I now have to sleep in my living room/dining room?

WWYD?

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Aug 13 2012, 8:26 am
Wow, that's awful! First of all, are your neighbors affected? If they are, you might want to arrange a meeting with them and act as a group. And I would get Rabbinic advice about how to proceed because it's a Jewish school.

I am not an attorney but I see 2 options for you:

Religious: Take them to beis din. Because you are suffering a loss of property value, you may be entitled to compensation -- please speak to someone who knows the halacha here -- I do not.

Secular: Report them to zoning. If they're doing this without permits, they may also be ignoring local codes like neglecting to install required fire sprinkler systems. In any event, without permits they could be forced to take the whole thing down.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Aug 13 2012, 8:48 am
Call the department of building. They will tell you how to proceed.

You can't do much about de valuing your property.

Tapuzi

Post Thu, Aug 08 2013, 7:37 pm
I just happened upon this thread today, a year later, and I'm not sure OP will see my post but the exact same thing happened to my parents and they got their property taxes lowered substantially. It was a hassle to be sure but if you haven't looked into that, OP, you really should. Hope it's quieted down by now!

amother

Post Thu, Aug 08 2013, 7:57 pm
Tapuzi wrote:
.... the exact same thing happened to my parents and they got their property taxes lowered substantially. It was a hassle.....!
OP here. How did your parents go about this? With a professional or themselves? We tried on our own, and we got a teensy drop in the bucket decrease in real estate taxes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics