Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
OCD helped by a cat

shanie5

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 6:25 pm
I have a (non jewish) friend (I will call her Jane) who has 4 daughters. 1 has ocd. A second child started showing symptoms of ocd.

Before the "holidays" last year, Janes brother in law told Janes husband that he wanted to give his daughter a cat for xmas. Can Jane and her dh keep the cat in their house until the holiday? Janes dh said yes, but Jane is allergic to cats! Jane didnt want to go against her dh, so she agreed as long as the cat stayed in the basement. Jane would take allergy medication as needed.

Well, once the cat came into the house, Jane noticed that the ocd signs in her 2nd child disappeared. And the ocd in her older dd improved a lot. Then the holidays came, and the cat left. The symptoms returned immediately! Jane decided that it was better for her children to get their own cat. She would just keep a stock of allergy medication in the house.

myself

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 6:27 pm
Very interesting! What do you think caused the change?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 7:01 pm
OCD is not caused by anxiety, but the behaviors can be triggered by anxiety. Having a pet has been proven to lower blood pressure and heart rate, lower anxiety, and give peaceful feelings.

My DH is not a dog person, has never owned a pet in his life, not even a goldfish. He sees how much my little dogs soothe my anxiety, and at this point he considers them "medically necessary" for me. Wink

Other guys in the community tease him about it, or downright ask "how can you LET her have a dog?", but he just shrugs them off. He knows that they're good for my health. Very Happy

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 7:33 pm
hm ~ I guess anything is possible ... but generally speaking I would think it could help a person with ad[h]d a lot more than a person with ocd ... although I've reluctantly taken some in as grandkitties ~ since my dd kept bringing them into the house - cat after cat after cat I had to keep telling her 'no way' ... but these 2 beauties furtively snuck their way into our hearts

they just turned 7 years old ~ MEOW (^_^)~~~ (^_^)~~~

I do believe there is some ocd here as well [but that's a longer story]

amother

Post Wed, Aug 21 2013, 7:35 pm
ds (4) has both OCD and ADHD and I wish I wouldn't be so scared of animals Crying. I would try just about anything to help him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics