Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Yapchik in the crockpot instructions
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Apr 12 2012, 5:58 am
zufriedene wrote:
Hi, I want to bring to your attention that some people are careful not to leave shredded uncooked onions left uncooked overnight . So it would seem better to mix them with the potatoes and eggs in advance, or start the slow cooker for about an hour. But do check it out to find out what you are actually recommended to do. Enjoy the cholent and a gutten Yuntiff.

You're right that many have this minhag. I have heard of it before. Here's a link to an article by Rabbi Doniel Neustadt on the topic: SHELLED EGG, PEELED ONION, or PEELED GARLIC CLOVE LEFT OVERNIGHT. I will discuss with DS#1.

Levtov

Post Thu, Apr 12 2012, 6:17 am
BTW, I'm interested in doing this for Shabus, will only a crockpot do?
Can I prepare it today, half cook it, put in the refrigerator and then on the electric platte just before Shabus? Will it have the same taste? Anyone with experience with this?

Definitely, cook it for at least an hour today, First of all it cooks very slowly when you put it on blech or hotplate-crockpot. Second, the potatoes and meat, onions are partially cooked, when you return it before shabbos, it starts the slow, delicious browning of the chulent till you serve it! Enjoy!

sky

Post Thu, Apr 12 2012, 7:16 am
For those cooking it in advance I said this on another thread. Fresh this was delicious. Reheated it was not good (and we like leftovers and old cholent).

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Apr 12 2012, 7:27 am
I just spoke to my Rav (not DS#1 because the Rav called me about something unrelated so I asked). The Rav recommended that I shred, soak, and refrigerate the potatoes today, and mince the onion tomorrow. That could work.

realeez

Post Thu, Apr 12 2012, 7:55 am
Btw, for those who like this - its a great recipe to make on an erev Yom tov to serve the second night since it already hot and I find otherwise is such a rush to reheat food when second day isn't shabbos!

ra_mom

Post Sat, Apr 14 2012, 9:16 pm
realeez wrote:
I put meat and bones at the bottom of a crockpot thats lined with parchment paper and then grated onions, potatoes and salt on top. No water, no eggs, no oil other than greasing the crockpot. Cook on high for a few hours and then to low. I find it needs a good 18-24 hours to cook.
The grated potatoes were awesome! Thanks so much Smile

willow

Post Sun, Apr 15 2012, 5:16 am
Thank you for this idea we grated potatoes and onions with salt pepper and 3 eggs. Layered fatty meat and it was delicious.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Mar 29 2013, 5:28 am
ra_mom wrote:
realeez wrote:
I put meat and bones at the bottom of a crockpot thats lined with parchment paper and then grated onions, potatoes and salt on top. No water, no eggs, no oil other than greasing the crockpot. Cook on high for a few hours and then to low. I find it needs a good 18-24 hours to cook.
The grated potatoes were awesome! Thanks so much Smile

Bumping up this excellent Pesach cholent!

theoneandonly

Post Thu, Sep 12 2013, 2:45 am
realeez wrote:

Will this work in a crockpot liner bag? Do the grated potatoes end up sticking together with a potato kugel texture?

realeez

Post Thu, Sep 12 2013, 4:18 am
theoneandonly wrote:
realeez wrote:

Will this work in a crockpot liner bag? Do the grated potatoes end up sticking together with a potato kugel texture?

I never tried it in a bag. I line my crockpot with parchment paper to ease the cleanup. It sticks together like potato kugel and comes out in one neat piece.

theoneandonly

Post Thu, Sep 12 2013, 4:20 am
realeez wrote:
theoneandonly wrote:
realeez wrote:

I never tried it in a bag. I line my crockpot with parchment paper to ease the cleanup. It sticks together like potato kugel and comes out in one neat piece.

Thanks!

#1 Mom

Post Thu, Sep 12 2013, 8:37 am
does it need water? how long is the longest it can be cooked in the crock pot can I make it wednesday afternoon on erev yom tov and serve it friday afteroon?

realeez

Post Thu, Sep 12 2013, 8:41 am
#1 Mom wrote:
does it need water? how long is the longest it can be cooked in the crock pot can I make it wednesday afternoon on erev yom tov and serve it friday afteroon?

No water. I wouldn't leave that long. I do erev Yom tov for the second night.

sarahd

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 9:59 am
I wouldn't recommend a crockpot bag. IME, the bag tears when you try to remove the contents.

watergirl

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 12:13 pm
Do you need to cook the meat first? How do you put in the meat? Must it be on the bottom? Ive had it before in the middle. Also, do you put in a lot of meat or flake in small bits?

sarahd

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 1:43 pm
The meat should be uncooked. Some people put it on bottom, some in middle of the kugel batter.

sweetart

Post Fri, Mar 30 2018, 11:19 am
I don't have bones, can I just use meat on the bottom?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 30 2018, 11:37 am
sweetart wrote:
I don't have bones, can I just use meat on the bottom?

Put a layer of sliced potatoes on bottom before you put the meat so the meat doesn't burn.

sweetart

Post Fri, Mar 30 2018, 1:23 pm
Thank you! Saw your response after I already started it, wondering if it's worth taking apart?
And the potatoes are turning grey. I have made this many times with eggs & oil, I hope trying this way wasn't a mistake.

TCR

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 8:54 am
realeez wrote:

Don't the potatoes turn brown if there is no oil or water on top of the potatoes?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics