Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
What to do with Kohlrabi, shredded cabbage?

Hydrangea

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 7:49 am
I am left with 3 kohlrabis, shredded cabbage and lots of bite size chicken cutlets (raw). My soups are done and we are not big on raw cabbage in salads. I could freeze the chicken cutlets but would appreciate ideas of what to make with the kohlrabi and shredded cabbage?

Liba

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 7:53 am
We peel kohlrabi and put them in our chicken soup. They taste a lot like turnips. You can freeze the cabbage and use in in to make unstuffed cabbage at a later point, or just use it to make unstuffed cabbage now.

Hydrangea

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 7:58 am
Liba wrote:
We peel kohlrabi and put them in our chicken soup. They taste a lot like turnips. You can freeze the cabbage and use in in to make unstuffed cabbage at a later point, or just use it to make unstuffed cabbage now.

I also use kohlrabi in the chicken soup but soup is done until after Succos and we have three left over.

Can raw shredded cabbage be frozen?

Tamiri

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 8:02 am
Both cabbage and kohlrabi are delicious roasted. You can serve them as a side dish. They caramelize in a high oven. Google for instructions.

Liba

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 8:03 am
Hydrangea wrote:
Liba wrote:

I also use kohlrabi in the chicken soup but soup is done until after Succos and we have three left over.

Can raw shredded cabbage be frozen?

The cabbage can be frozen, but it will change texture completely and be watery when you defrost it. It will *only* be good for cooking with.

Hydrangea

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 8:07 am
Tamiri wrote:
Both cabbage and kohlrabi are delicious roasted. You can serve them as a side dish. They caramelize in a high oven. Google for instructions.

Sounds worth a try. Any ideas what to add so that it has some color?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 9:11 am
Hydrangea wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

Sounds worth a try. Any ideas what to add so that it has some color?

Stir fry it in a bit of oil first, and sprinkle some brown sugar on it. Cook it in a low oven so it won't burn, and check on it frequently, stirring if needed.

Or easier, stir fry the whole thing in a big frying pan. Shredded carrots will add some nice color and texture to brighten it up. If you want to get fancy you can add some hoisin sauce (if you can find the kosher version, I like Iron Chef). I can get DH to eat it, and he hates vegetables, especially cabbage! Leftover meat can be sliced thin and tossed in, too. Serve over rice, and you have a whole meal in one pot.

sarahd

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 9:59 am
Or you can use that filling for eggrolls, can't you?

I would sautee the cabbage in a generous amount of oil till very soft and brownish, add salt, pepper and a touch of sugar while sauteeing. Then toss with noodles (the big square ones are best, but only available in Brooklyn and other very chassidish areas; bowties also work) or you can freeze for later use with noodles.

mommydiaries

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 10:10 am
Raw Kohlrabi with lemon juice and salt is AMAZING! Just peel, cut into bite sized pieces sprinkle on some salt and lemon juice (I like a lot of lemon juice) and enjoy! If you let it marinate it picks up the flavor of the lemons more.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus