Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Bais Yaakov cookbook - who uses it?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Cookies n Cream

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 12:20 pm
Apple crumble in caramel
One pie with the works
Boston cream pie

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 1:44 pm
Classic pareve cheescake (p284)
Mocha cake (p306) - really really divine!

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 1:48 pm
I second the mocha cake...its amazing!

This isn't really what you are looking for, but the Wholesome Breakfast Muffins are really great for breakfast or a snack.

JollyMommy

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 5:08 pm
Working my way through the cookbook- I find it the best cookbook out there- so easy and delicious.

2 duds: strawberry soup and sticky chicken

Della

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 5:18 pm
Desserts that we liked:

Fudge pie-p. 279 ( makes four!)
Mocha cake-p. 306
Cupcakes-p.310

Cookies n Cream

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 6:00 pm
esteec wrote:
Working my way through the cookbook- I find it the best cookbook out there- so easy and delicious.

2 duds: strawberry soup and sticky chicken

Whats wrong with the strawberry soup? I have made it countless times and get rave reviews every time.

nana18

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 6:21 pm
did anyone try the green bean mango salad and the purple cabbage salad? I was wondering if I should try them for yomtov?

srbmom

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 6:40 pm
I love the green bean mango salad. The purple cabbage salad did not work for me. Not sure if I made a mistake but it had no flavor.

bigsis144

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 6:40 pm
Baked Chicken with Tomato Brown Sugar Glaze -- I made it with dry red wine instead of sweet, and it was still extremely sweet. I prefer savory chicken for both health and taste reasons, but it certainly wasn't bad.

Quick Cranberry Chicken -- again, easy and yummy but a bit sweet for my taste. I tend to make sweet, less exotic chicken when I have company, and this is in my company rotation.

Fire Poppers -- LOVE THESE. They are actually not that time consuming to make, and taste delicious at room temperature as well as hot. DH likes them for Shabbos afternoon in the summer when we don't want to leave a blech on.

Braised Chicken with Herbs and Shallots -- LOVE THIS. I use thinly sliced onions instead of shallots. My mother never cooks with vinegar, but balsamic vinegar was on sale and I decided to try this and I'm SO glad I did. It ends up with a fruity, yet not too sweet flavor... a local bakery makes delicious Tuscan and sourdough bread, and when I make this recipe for Friday night, I buy the bread instead of making challah because dipping the crusts in the gravy is HEAVEN. Like a vacation to Europe in your mouth.

Blackened Salmon -- I like Cajun flavors, and this a nice flavor with salmon. Again, not too sweet. YAY for no added sugar, srsly.

Baby Cheese Babka -- made this for Shavuos, halved it because it looked like it made a ton, and it STILL made a TON. In fact, it overflowed my pans (I made two tube pans instead of individual babkas. I am NOT a patche-ing person) and coated the bottom of my oven and made the smoke alarm go off on erev Shavuos... but what I was able to salvage was delicious. Like a babka and cheese danish had a delicious, delicious baby.

Many of the recipes look like SUCH a patchke. The second I see "8 eggs, separated" I turn the page. Wink

mfb

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 7:14 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Baked Chicken with Tomato Brown Sugar Glaze -- I made it with dry red wine instead of sweet, and it was still extremely sweet. I prefer savory chicken for both health and taste reasons, but it certainly wasn't bad.

Quick Cranberry Chicken -- again, easy and yummy but a bit sweet for my taste. I tend to make sweet, less exotic chicken when I have company, and this is in my company rotation.

Fire Poppers -- LOVE THESE. They are actually not that time consuming to make, and taste delicious at room temperature as well as hot. DH likes them for Shabbos afternoon in the summer when we don't want to leave a blech on.
Braised Chicken with Herbs and Shallots -- LOVE THIS. I use thinly sliced onions instead of shallots. My mother never cooks with vinegar, but balsamic vinegar was on sale and I decided to try this and I'm SO glad I did. It ends up with a fruity, yet not too sweet flavor... a local bakery makes delicious Tuscan and sourdough bread, and when I make this recipe for Friday night, I buy the bread instead of making challah because dipping the crusts in the gravy is HEAVEN. Like a vacation to Europe in your mouth.

Blackened Salmon -- I like Cajun flavors, and this a nice flavor with salmon. Again, not too sweet. YAY for no added sugar, srsly.

Baby Cheese Babka -- made this for Shavuos, halved it because it looked like it made a ton, and it STILL made a TON. In fact, it overflowed my pans (I made two tube pans instead of individual babkas. I am NOT a patche-ing person) and coated the bottom of my oven and made the smoke alarm go off on erev Shavuos... but what I was able to salvage was delicious. Like a babka and cheese danish had a delicious, delicious baby.

Many of the recipes look like SUCH a patchke. The second I see "8 eggs, separated" I turn the page. Wink

can someone post the recipe for the fire poppers?

dhm

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 7:38 pm
Grilled beef rolls with scallion dipping sauce. Pg28
Roasted garlic zucchini soup. Pg48
Leek soup. Pg70
Roasted veg and pastrami salad. Pg 94
Carrot souffle. Pg244
Two layer yerushalmi kugel. Pg248
Pralines and cream semifreddo. Pg268
Strawberry mango ice cream roll. Pg270
Boston cream pie. Pg276
Mocha cake. Pg306

Everything I tried so far was amazing! Also everything was converted to gluten free and was still amazing even for family members who aren't gluten free!

Cookies n Cream

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 7:59 pm
dhm wrote:
Grilled beef rolls with scallion dipping sauce. Pg28
Roasted garlic zucchini soup. Pg48
Leek soup. Pg70
Roasted veg and pastrami salad. Pg 94
Carrot souffle. Pg244
Two layer yerushalmi kugel. Pg248
Pralines and cream semifreddo. Pg268
Strawberry mango ice cream roll. Pg270
Boston cream pie. Pg276
Mocha cake. Pg306

Everything I tried so far was amazing! Also everything was converted to gluten free and was still amazing even for family members who aren't gluten free!

Howd u make the mocha cake and cream pie GF?

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 8:50 pm
The green bean mango salad didn't go down so well. I personally didn't enjoy the soft mushiness almost, of the mango and avocado together with crunchy green beans.
Dh said mango and avocado just don't go.

Not making that again fast.

Reesa

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 9:07 pm
I made a lot of recipes from there and I loved them all. I made my entire shavuos and lots of rosh hashona from there.

JollyMommy

Post Sun, Sep 15 2013, 11:17 pm
that's funny- the green bean mango salad is one our favorites! people like different things...

SomebodyElse

Post Wed, Sep 18 2013, 11:24 am
Has anyone made the pepper steak? It says to bake for 2 hours. Can that be right?

JAWSCIENCE

Post Wed, Sep 18 2013, 11:43 am
I'm hoping to get one of these soon. I've got a gift certificate to a store In Brooklyn so maybe I will pick it up while I am there on chol hamoed Smile

chaya35

Post Thu, Jan 02 2014, 2:39 pm
Has anyone tried the Quick Teriyaki Chicken Stir-Fry? Sounds very easy. Would love to know if it is good. Also what is instant rice and orzo?

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Jan 02 2014, 2:51 pm
I make it all the time! It's yummy! I use instant rice which is rice that you get in a box which takes like 10 or 20 minutes to cook.

chaya35

Post Thu, Jan 02 2014, 3:03 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
I make it all the time! It's yummy! I use instant rice which is rice that you get in a box which takes like 10 or 20 minutes to cook.

Thanks. Does the box say instant on it?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics