Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Any Heter to cut nails during Chol Hamoed?

baker1

Post Sun, Sep 22 2013, 10:14 pm
I forgot to cut my nails on Erev Yom tov, and now my nails are so long! It is driving me nuts!

Anyone heard of any heter that would allow me to cut y nails?
I do know that if you cut them each week you can cut them during CH, however that is not the case here......

black sheep

Post Sun, Sep 22 2013, 10:22 pm
Rabbi Black Sheep is mattir.

ima_dina084

Post Sun, Sep 22 2013, 10:58 pm
You probably want to ask your rav or tell us who you hold by ?

baker1

Post Sun, Sep 22 2013, 10:59 pm
black sheep wrote:

Thank you LOL ! My DH just spoke to his rav and he said I can either use my mouth or hands, but no clipper! Sad

debsters1101

Post Sun, Sep 22 2013, 11:00 pm
Wow! I cut both my and my kids nails bc they were out of control crazy. Whoops. Hey rabbi black sheep you have credible smicha RIGHT???

black sheep

Post Mon, Sep 23 2013, 12:28 am
baker1 wrote:
black sheep wrote:

Thank you LOL ! My DH just spoke to his rav and he said I can either use my mouth or hands, but no clipper! Sad

Gross!
Rabbi Black Sheep says you can use a clipper. In fact, SHOULD use a clipper.

black sheep

Post Mon, Sep 23 2013, 12:29 am
debsters1101 wrote:
Wow! I cut both my and my kids nails bc they were out of control crazy. Whoops. Hey rabbi black sheep you have credible smicha RIGHT???

Of course!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 23 2013, 1:10 am
baker1 wrote:
black sheep wrote:

Eeeeeew! shock I hope you don't need to trim your toenails!

medola

Post Mon, Sep 23 2013, 10:17 am
Blame me for being BT but I have never heard of this halachah/minhag (which is it?). What's the reason behind it? Is nail polish ok? What about cutting with scissors? Hmm.

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 23 2013, 10:20 am
maybe you should go to the mikva - then everything is allowed ...

rebbetzin greenfire also says it's matir ... as a matter of fact - come over & I'll give you a manicure with nail polish & all

Colors Colors Colors Colors Colors

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 23 2013, 10:22 am
besides if you bite them chances are you'll keep biting them until you cut them & it might be yom tov & you might bleed ... so you're avoiding an avaira by clipping them before you come to such a grave sin

amother

Post Mon, Sep 23 2013, 10:26 am
How about shaving legs? I didn't get a chance before yom tov...

amother

Post Mon, Sep 23 2013, 10:46 am
There are different opinions in halacha as to whether or not cutting nails is permitted on Chol Ha’moed. The accepted stance is that nails can be cut only if they have already been cut on Erev Yom Tov

I was told by my Rav that a married women who regularly shaves can do so on Chol Hamoed as well.
Anon b/c I don;t have smecha Smile

medola

Post Mon, Sep 23 2013, 11:25 am
The question remains: Why? What's the issue Halachik authorities have with tending to your nails over C'H? Surely neat, trimmed nails are nicer than having unruly and grossly long nails that one forgot to tend do before YT? I am sorry I just don't see the wisdom... Someone please shed some light for this ignorant BT...

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Sep 24 2013, 5:01 pm
I once received a heter to cut my child's nails on chol hamoed, even though I had forgotten to cut them on erev yom tov, because the nails were scratchy and it was hard to hold the child without getting hurt. Maybe I should be anon for this because I let my child's nails get that long, but I won't be, so you can see I'm a real person and I'm standing behind what I said.

Filing the nails might be okay, just until after yom tov, so ask!

myself

Post Wed, Sep 25 2013, 8:57 am
On one occasion I too forgot to cut my kids nails in the rush leading up to Yom Tov. They looked awful so we called our Rav and he gave us a heter to cut them. I wouldn't have done it without asking though.

EDA: Bear in mind though that the halacha may be different for kids.

observer

Post Wed, Sep 25 2013, 1:49 pm
medola, I believe it's because on chol hamoed we still keep some level of moed and avoid certain activities, such as laundry, getting haircuts, men don't shave, etc..

Lucky me, I have mikva on y't, so I get to cut my nails, shave, etc...

pesek zman

Post Wed, Sep 25 2013, 2:02 pm
pretty sure I learned that you can cut them in preparation for yom tov, if needed. I needed to (cut them right before succos for mikvah, but they got so long) and cut them last night for yom tov (won't have time to do it before yom tov 2/2 work)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions