Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Tell me about a career in computer science please! Thanks!
Previous  1  2

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 8:04 pm
BlueRose, thank you for all of those links- I really appreciate the time you took to post them!

Another question: I met someone who has a good job in networking; he didn't get a degree - he taught himself the programs and took a test to get a certificate... which got me thinking:

Is this a field where a degree is important, or is it more like graphics, where, as long as you know the stuff, employers generally don't care about the degree??

e1234

Post Sun, Sep 29 2013, 10:51 pm
I have a BA in computer science but I was never asked for it

it is on my resume but more important I think was my letter of references and the work I show I did

BlueRose52

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 7:27 am
I'm not really sure about networking, but in a lot of technology fields, if you can really prove that you know the field well, they will probably take a chance on you even without a degree. However... it's not so simple to prove that, and from what I understand these self-certification tests are not so trusted anymore.

But if you have verifiable experience or significant projects you can demonstrate to an employer that you were heavily involved in, I think it can go a long way.

That being said, there are always going to be some companies that won't even consider you if you don't have a degree (for example, Google).

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 4:40 am
e1234 wrote:
I am a computer programmer - I learned it 16 years ago and I have been programming for 14 years.

I really enjoy programming (I do mostly web and database programming) I love learning new things which you have to like with computers as things are always changing.

I work freelance which has it's plusses and minus's
I hate collecting money - I think I would prefer a company where I just do the programming but in the meantime it's working for me to do the project management and programming and I've developed myself a freelance business boruch hashem that I can work around my kids

e1234, can you tell me about working in this field as a freelancer? How do you market yourself? What made you decide to freelance?

Thank you!

roza

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 9:47 am
As far as what languages to learn. Look into Java and Ruby on Rails, anything Object Oriented Prog.
Lower level programming would involve C, C++

Also, software engineer is often an outcome of CS program of study. In our days you will want to be a software engineer rather than a programmer.
Today developing a program is a much complex process with many stages. Google Agile software development to get an idea.

I would say that being in a good CS program (school) will allow you to experience various aspects of CS field and help you narrow down the direction you will take in your career development.

brocha613

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 3:01 am
I know this is from a while ago, but if it's helpful- I just heard there is a new ENGLISH computer science B.Sc. degree at Machon Tal in Yerushalayim. Totally frum environment and very affordable tuition. Machon Tal is a great school but was always closed off to me because all of the science and tech degrees were in hebrew.

A woman named Mrs. Berger is in charge of the program and you can email her at bberger@jct.ac.il.

Hope that's helpful!

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 3:07 am
TranquilityandPeace, guess the computer science thing didn't work out, huh? Cool
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics