Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Lost in a sea of toys, need help~!

RedVines

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 1:42 pm
bottom line is; there are two kids in a medium size room, bunk ned and tons of toys! I need help, there are everywhere!the kids pick up one box and dump them out just to leave it in the pile...I do have a garage attached to the house but I need help on where to begin, I would love to make a play area there...any suggestions.?

Younger Me

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 2:23 pm
I don't know if there is an IKEA near where you live, but this store really helped me organize my toys. I got a piece of furniture that comes with bins that slide into it - check this link, I don't know if it'll work...

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs.....ofast

or search for something called "trofast" on their site. it's very practical because you can separate the toys into different categories and different bins and everything looks neat. Plus it really doesn't take up a lot of room...and it's not expensive. I love it, it was my best purchasefor my play room. IKEA has a lot of different things that can help you organize everything.

MOM222

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 2:37 pm
1. The first thing you should do is go thru all the toys.
2. Throw out toys that are missing pieces, broken ....
3. Then buy boxes that have lids that close well.
But everything clear with the same color lids in a few sizes. Larger for lego, smaller for toy cars...
4. Start enforcing the rule, only 1 toy at a time for each child.
5. Place the toys that have small pieces higher on the shelf so that you have to give it to them and they can't just dump it out.

Making room in the room for the toys is an entire different question.
Do you have place in the room to put in an additional closet. What does the room look like?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 2:54 pm
Check out toy catalogues, and how they store the stuff they show…you can also look online at The Container Store but they’re not discount.

yoyosma

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 3:05 pm
I have one of these, although I got it at Kmart and its a different brand.
http://www.target.com/gp/detai.....SRJ1I
The kids can see their toys, put them back where they belong, take one bin at a time, etc. If you have enough wall space I would say get one for each kid.
Ideally, it would be perfect but I will not lie to you and will tell you that I reorganize this thing a million times, but at least my daughter knows where her toys are and doesnt dig anymore!
Another suggestion is like everyone else is telling you, buy bins/plastic containers and I would say to label them with pictures of the toy on the side and slide them under the bunk bed when they are not being used.
Toy organization is a pain, I know! Good luck.

mumoo

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 3:59 pm
We have good organized systems, but they only work if the children use them.

I make sure to keep after them to put them away themselves-not me-so it doesn't become expected that I will do it. No going out of the room until it's tidied.

When there is a particular toy that I am constantly picking up/putting away, I get rid of it. (We have a g'mach so another child gets it)

su7kids

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 4:18 pm
PURGE. Get rid of some of them. Take some of them out of the room and store them in your garage, attic or far away from the kids.

Then, every few months, rotate them. Take out some, bring back others. The kids will think they got new toys!!!

Declutter.

withhumor

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 7:33 pm
Don’t bother converting the garage. Too many toys in one room with kids will become out of control no matter how organized you are. Reserve the garage for organized storage. Every 2 weeks, bring out 2 different toys to the room. When they get bored of it, change. Works for us. I have about 85 dolls and teddy bears. Every few weeks I change them around and they’re always pleasantly surprised to ‘discover’ something new!

Squash

Post Wed, Jan 24 2007, 7:51 pm
The idea of rotating toys is a great one!

Also, I have lots of clear plastic containers with lids, so every toy or type of toy has its place.

Generally I only allow one messy toy to be played with at once. ie: if they'r playing with clics, they can't play with legoes till the clics are packed away...

Obviously if they're playing house they'll use pocketbooks, dolls, strollers, cribs... I'm not so particular about the "big" stuff being used one at a time.

Games are stored on a shelf.

Big toys: dolls... are kept in a toybox.

Hammock in the corner is for all the stuffed animals.

Good luck.

RedVines

Post Thu, Jan 25 2007, 12:23 pm
Thank you all so much for awesome ideas!

I do the clear boxes with labels...I am not going to bother withthe garage, you are right, but I will rotate toys, and give away....

THANKS FOR PULLING ME OUT OF THE SEA!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics