Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Diaper Rash! Which creams or remedies is best!
1  2  Next

Which cream/remedies for diaper rash?
olive oil  
 3%  [ 2 ]
Balmex  
 24%  [ 13 ]
Triple Paste  
 22%  [ 12 ]
Bordauxs Butt Paste  
 13%  [ 7 ]
Corn Starch  
 5%  [ 3 ]
Desitin  
 30%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 53

amother

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 9:33 pm
My dd is on medication now it is causing her to have a bad diaper rash.
I've heard of many creams but I would like to make a vote and see which one works best. dont wanna keep buying creams and then see.

thank you all hope others mothers can benefit too!

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 9:37 pm
if the medication is antibiotics, I would assume it's a yeast rash. have you shown it to a doctor? lotrimin should be helpful if that is the case. if it's just a bad diaper rash, I like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Ma.....+baby

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 9:38 pm
If it's caused by antibiotics, it's most likely a yeast infection. So an antifungal cream like nystatin or lotrimin is probably the quickest and best way to really get rid of it. What did the pediatrician say? It really depends on what's causing the rash.

Esther23

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 9:40 pm
If its a yeast diaper rash due to antibiotics then none of the above would help. You need to get an antifungal type like nystatin, give him probiotics and put corn starch powder to keep the area dry.

Esther23

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 9:41 pm
Oops sorry we all posted same time Smile

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 9:47 pm
For a general diaper rash, I found that Desitin worked well and got rid of the rash quickly. My dd once had a diaper rash caused by antibiotics and my doctor prescribed Nystatin/Triple Paste. It worked, but it did take some time to heal.

BTW, for rashes not caused by antibiotics, I found that it was directly related to the type of diapers used. My kids seem to be allergic to all but Pampers and Luvs. If I use anything else, they get a rash right away.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 05 2024, 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Pandabeer

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 10:20 pm
didn't vote - if you can get daktozin from Euope works the best than all others that I tried

amother

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 10:37 pm
surprised I never heard it before but witch hazel/ tucks is great for diaper rash. I use that together with desiten. use instead of wipes

sunlight

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 10:41 pm
I use A+D

el2cg

Post Mon, Sep 30 2013, 11:36 pm
Ask your doctor for a prescription of vusion- the only ointment that works for bad (bleeding) diaper rash. Is really expensive, and not all insurance cover it

Laughing Bag!

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 12:19 am
I wrote corn starch. I try this before anything else it may help and may not but at least wouldn't make things worse. ime after trying all if the abouve mentioned plus more including prescribed creams and mixes advise to me by the Dr. with my ds NONE of it worked but potato starch did help (not corn starch though ) I did switch to cloth diapers after all creams, powders, mixes and diaper brands failed.
my advise is try anything as longer it helps this child. I don't base this on siblings either because in my case each of my kids reacted differently.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 12:22 am
corn starch

m in Israel

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 12:35 am
It's a bit of a pain to use, but I find that corn starch dissolved in milk to make a thick liquid which can be poured/ rubbed all over works extremely well, even sometimes on fungal type rashes that are already bleeding! Don't know what the milk does, but it works much better than plain corn starch.

As far as the over the counter creams, I like Triple Paste for bad diaper rash.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 1:15 am
I tried Most creams and found that vusion worked best. I have united health care and it was covered.

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 5:23 am
I'm surprised that so many people voted for Desitin; I recently bought Desitin (because the store was out of Balmex...) and I feel like it doesn't work at all.

mother4

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 10:04 am
Lansinoh (breastfeeding cream) works great as diaper rash cream...the thick moisture creates good barrier on skin..

libadmin

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 12:31 pm
Butt paste is excellent for bad diaper rash, but for yeast infections, like others said, lotrimin and nystatin work the best.

Sparkle

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 5:04 pm
Bentonite clay is hands down the most amazing remedy for a diaper rash (or any rash, wound, burn, etc.) Some people make a paste with the clay and water, but I just sprinkle the clay on like a diaper powder - and all rashes clear up within 24-48 hours.
My friend came for last days of Sukkot and was blown away by how well it works. My baby slept in a dirty diaper for 3 hours before chag, and woke up with a horrible rash - I mean bright red, inflamed, and he was so uncomfortable he couldn't sit or be held with this legs around my waist. By the next night, he was completely back to normal. All I used was the clay.
You can get it for $5 on Amazon.

*Edit - I did put on some coconut oil under the clay a few times, I just remembered....I still think the clay would have worked fine on it's own, but I like using the coconut oil since it's anti-fungal and anti-bacterial.

piece

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 6:16 pm
my co-worker has recommended butt paste; I havent personally used it on my kids. I absolutely love A & D.
it protects the skin amazingly & lets it heal. I find the rest comes off while A & D sticks to the skin no matter what, so it can actually heal. or Vaseline.
but of course, for yeast infection; best to go with prescription
good luck

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 7:01 pm
theoneandonly wrote:
I'm surprised that so many people voted for Desitin; I recently bought Desitin (because the store was out of Balmex...) and I feel like it doesn't work at all.

thats funny, I feel the same way about balmex- it doesnt do ANYTHING for my kids, except sometimes make it worse. my baby just had a really bad rash (bh its finally gone!!!) and I ran out of desitin but had to change him before I had a chance to use more. I used vasiline, and it started getting better right away!!!

2x he needed medicated cream, but that was while he was taking antibiotics.

butt paste didnt work for my kids either, and it also stains, which no one warned me about.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics