Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
US government shutdown
Previous  1  2

celesteno

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 4:33 pm
A) The shutdown can not apply to congressman's salaries due to the 27th amendment. The same provision that keeps them from voting themselves pay raises, prevents them from being affected in a shut down.

B) WIC will be affected by the shutdown. The USDA (which administers WIC) has stated that there won't be any funding available for WIC's clinical services, food benefits or administrative costs. I know Utah has already notified WIC recipients that their funding will run out by the end of the week and has directed them toward food pantries. States may have additional funds due to rebates or contingency funds but that funding should run out by next week.

C) SNAP or food stamps are funded through next year and shouldn't be affected.

D) Obama did not shut down the government, Congress did. Congress is the one constitutionally granted the spending power. When Congress does not authorize spending that means the gov has no funds and thus shuts down. House Republicans are holding up a vote on a clean "continuing resolution" which will continue to fund the government (even though it has the votes to pass) because they want to use funding the gov and raising the debt ceiling to defund Obamacare--which can really happen, because its funded mostly through mandatory spending--but whatever. The Senate and President which are controlled by the party that pushed through the ACA are never going to give House Republicans what they want--which is the repeal of the ACA, so this is in effect grandstanding.

happybeingamom

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 6:21 pm
Well we voted for the same president, the same senate basically and the same house.

We knew they did not work well together but same people are in charge.

So as long as Barak Obama, Harry Reid and John Boehner are not running the country, this is what we get.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 8:27 pm
happybeingamom wrote:
Well we voted for the same president, the same senate basically and the same house.

So as long as Barak Obama, Harry Reid and John Boehner are not running the country, this is what we get.

I wish we could toss them ALL out, and start from scratch.

happybeingamom

Post Tue, Oct 01 2013, 10:24 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
happybeingamom wrote:

I wish we could toss them ALL out, and start from scratch.

Amen!

Truth is what person who wants a sane normal life would want to go into politics. It is one dirty game and that is why most elected people are awful and the good ones get corrupted once they are in.

farm

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 4:18 pm
marina wrote:
Quote:
3. Why can't Congress agree? The Republican-controlled House has passed a spending bill that maintains spending levels but does not provide funding to implement the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare. The Democratic Senate insists that the program be fully funded and that Congress pass what they call a "clean" CR.

Look, dudes. You fought against Obamacare and you lost. Then you fought some more and lost again. Stop being babies and get over it. The country is pissed at you now, not Obama.

I've been pondering this for a while...
Regardless of my opinion of Obamacare, the debt ceiling, the gov't shutdown, etc, I can't help but think The House has my interests in mind a lot better than the president. After all, the swing states are the ones who chose the president so my 1 vote in my stronghold democratic state counted not one iota. At least my local representative was chosen by my local area and has to have our interests in mind if they expect us to vote for them again!
So I will sit back and watch this play out and feel somewhat satisfied that at least one branch of gov't is demonstrating what a segment of we the people feel about our country right now .

Barbara

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 4:30 pm
farm wrote:
marina wrote:
Quote:
3. Why can't Congress agree? The Republican-controlled House has passed a spending bill that maintains spending levels but does not provide funding to implement the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare. The Democratic Senate insists that the program be fully funded and that Congress pass what they call a "clean" CR.

Look, dudes. You fought against Obamacare and you lost. Then you fought some more and lost again. Stop being babies and get over it. The country is pissed at you now, not Obama.

Regardless of my opinion of Obamacare, the debt ceiling, the gov't shutdown, etc, I can't help but think The House has my interests in mind a lot better than the president. After all, the swing states are the ones who chose the president so my 1 vote in my stronghold democratic state counted not one iota. At least my local representative was chosen by my local area and has to have our interests in mind if they expect us to vote for them again!
So I will sit back and watch this play out and feel somewhat satisfied that at least one branch of gov't is demonstrating what a segment of we the people feel about our country right now .

If you want to look at it that way, nationally, more than 1 million more votes were cast for Democratic Representatives than for Republican in the last election. The Republican control of the House probably relates to the way the districts were drawn.

But if your interests are best represented by cutting off WIC and school lunch programs, shutting national parks, closing most government offices (including offices relating to health, food safety and air traffic) and, if this goes on for a while, even closing the courts, then clearly you chose the right representative for your interests.

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 4:57 pm
Are the medicaid and government insurance offices affected by the shutdown?? PLEASE SAY NO!!!

Barbara

Post Wed, Oct 02 2013, 5:08 pm
chocolate chips wrote:
Are the medicaid and government insurance offices affected by the shutdown?? PLEASE SAY NO!!!

Medicaid, like social security and (ready for this) the Affordable Care Act, is a permanent entitlement program, and not affected by the shutdown.

farm

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 10:46 am
Barbara wrote:
farm wrote:
marina wrote:
Quote:

If you want to look at it that way, nationally, more than 1 million more votes were cast for Democratic Representatives than for Republican in the last election. The Republican control of the House probably relates to the way the districts were drawn.

But if your interests are best represented by cutting off WIC and school lunch programs, shutting national parks, closing most government offices (including offices relating to health, food safety and air traffic) and, if this goes on for a while, even closing the courts, then clearly you chose the right representative for your interests.

That is absolutely not what I said and certainly not what I meant to say if it came out wrong. My point was that the sentiment of, "dudes, he was elected by the majority of the vote so deal with it," is misleading. Our electoral college makes the whole thing a big joke with very few states actually having a say in the matter. The representatives in the house are directly elected by their constituents in a democratic manner. That is all I was saying.

busydev

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 10:52 am
I have a wic appt on friday. so does this mean I may not actually have an appt now? how do I find out?

mandr

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 11:06 am
busydev wrote:
I have a wic appt on friday. so does this mean I may not actually have an appt now? how do I find out?

You probably are fine because WIC is apportioned by the state government, not the federal govt.

dimyona

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 11:08 am
mandr wrote:
busydev wrote:

You probably are fine because WIC is apportioned by the state government, not the federal govt.

The funding is entirely federal, and in all likelihood WIC will be running out of money next week, and all checks issued before that time will not clear. If anyone has WIC checks, today is the best time to use them. Call your local office to find out if your appointment is necessary.

marina

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 1:34 pm
Sad http://www.theatlantic.com/bus.....0174/

Kfar

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 6:41 pm
For some reason reading some of these posts makes me want to hold up a sign saying "Four Legs Good, Two Legs Bad!" Chatterbox

Tova

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 6:49 pm
marina wrote:
Sad http://www.theatlantic.com/bus.....0174/

My father works for the NIH. My mother just told me that not only are salaries not guarenteed, but they got a notice that their health premiums (the portion the gov't pays for) won't be paid. Kind of ironic.

Peanut2

Post Thu, Oct 03 2013, 7:18 pm
Obama didn't do this.

Republican Congressmen are at fault. If you are angry contact your local congressman.

They bill passed the House, the Senate, got the President's signature, and even the Supreme Court's approval after it was challenged. It went through all the checks and balances of the democratic process.

And the Republicans are using the process of If you don't give me what I want I won't play. They are getting paid while federal employees may not be getting paid. They are getting paid and women and children are not getting WIC. They are getting paid and yelling at everyone else about it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics