Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Guests and Gebrokts

queenie

Post Sun, Mar 27 2005, 10:56 pm
I will be having a lot of guests on Pesach. Some will be sleeping over and some just eating. We don't gebrokt. (How does one spell that in English?)

We will be having some lubavitch people over and some not. We buy juice and squeeze some of our own, we use potato starch and pepper and we don't boil our sugar. However, we know a lot of Lubavitchers that buy New Square juice, they puree strawberries before pesach and use pepper and an assortment of other things too. Many of our friends, very learned Lubavitchers use potato starch. We do too.

The question is, should we inform our quests of what we do and what we use or should the guests ask us how strict we are? We have guests coming from Crown Heights and they might expect that we do everything the strictest Lubavitch way. What

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Mar 27 2005, 11:07 pm
ask yourself how far out of your way you're willing to go to accomodate everybody and ask your Rav too.

I generally feel that if I go to somebody's house, I have no right to impose my humros onto them and make their life more difficult. We take care of our own humras weither via smartly planned gifts, skipping some foods or staying home.

If it's good friends, we'll ask them to do sertain things for which they do not have to go out of their way too much - ie pls buy brand xyz or do not make extra of this dish for us.

On the other hand, when we invite guests, we ask them about humros, preferences, alergies, especially if with kids, ahead of time, so that we can accomodate them.

sarahd

Post Mon, Mar 28 2005, 3:55 am
Listen, the very strictest people (and even many less strict people) will not eat outside their own home on Pesach. "Men misht zich nisht" on Pesach. One reason is because not everyone else holds with your chumros.

Once someone is allowing themselves to be invited to your home, they are implicitly agreeing to eat your food and hold your chumros (or lack of them.) If someone would really be so, so strict, they wouldn't be eating anywhere outside the home, or at least they would ask you in advance what you do and not just rely on the fact that you're Lubavitch so you will hold their chumros. So if they're not asking, I don't think you have to go through the whole list of what you do or don't do.

queenie

Post Mon, Mar 28 2005, 7:23 pm
We do hold by a lot of chumras but I must say, we actually didn't invite anyone. Other people asked to come to us. One person is sleeping over from the day before Pesach untill the day after Pesach.

Most people know we are very strict usually so maybe they just assume we do "everything" on Pesach, and we do compared to most people. But, we don't hold by every single Lubavitch Chumra.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics