Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Vision therapy

amother

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 5:20 pm
My son was just evaluated for and recommended vision therapy. I used Dr Coopers office on bay parkway. Has anyone had any experience with vision therapy and specifically with Dr. Cooper. The therapy is expensive and I want to hear some good reviews. My son has difficulty tracking. I really appreciate any input- anon because I've discussed this with a few ppl

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 5:24 pm
my son also has difficulty tracking. I was told that I COULD get vision therapy, but I was given exercises to do with him at home. I was also told by an OT that video games are great for helping tracking problems. I was not told that vision therapy is a must. I do allow my son to play super mario more often than I previously wanted to, but I tell myself that it's good for him Smile

(it also keeps him occupied while I cook for shabbos. and his sisters join him. it's great.)

anyway, I don't know to what degree your son has tracking difficulty. I'd get a second opinion before committing to something expensive like that, though. it might be a cheaper investment to buy a video game console Wink

happy mommy6

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 6:38 pm
there are also vision therapy computer programs that may be less expensive. I don't think video games will take place of therapy. ive done therapy, and yes its expensive. see if the doctor could give you excercises to work with at home, and then you can follow up with him.

SplitPea

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 7:00 pm
How old is your son? I know a few people who got it free through EI and I think CPSE will give it as well depending on where you live.

Good luck!

otsrock

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 7:01 pm
I second not replacing therapy with video games. IMO, that was really bad advice, or it was misinterpreted.

pecan

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 7:10 pm
My son was not helped much with vision therapy once a week, possibly cuz' I didn't usually do the homework. His accuracy did actually improve, but he is still a slow reader.
I switched vision practitioners, and received a completely different eyeglasses prescription, and was told to give it some time, and to do things at home every single day, focusing on the eye that wanders. We were also told that certain games are good, things like pacman which require tracking, but they do not take the place of the other exercises. I don't know if mario requires tracking but apps like touch the number, mazes, etc are good.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 8:04 pm
I think video games in general would be of very limited usefulness to someone with specific visual problems. But I have seen people under professional guidance use specific computer programs to supplement vision therapy. Sometimes they go with special (3-d type) glasses to wear while doing it, and the computer program is designed to address the specific focusing issues. It was pretty cool. I believe the student made good progress with that. An added benefit was that they were able to continue therapy while their family went out of town for the entire summer, which would often be a huge setback for traditional therapies.

Kugglegirl

Post Sun, Oct 06 2013, 8:23 pm
If you choose to do vision therapy, you must do the exercises at home. Otherwise it is a total waste.

In the mean time, try to get your child to use a typoscope or at least an index card under the line of print he is reading. --You can make your own with black craft foam. Can also make an L-shape one for math & worksheets.

http://www.maxiaids.com/produc.....CkAnQ

There are good activities for tracking too. Like word searches, mazes & specific video games where you are visually tracking an object to catch or follow it.

Gerty

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 11:22 am
Just wanted to chime in and say that as a kid I went to vision therapy for a few years and it made a huge difference in my life and in my ability to keep my wandering eye in check. There were special games we played on the computer during the therapy session, as well as many other exercises, but I never played the video game at home. And I always came home with "homework" exercises.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 1:40 pm
Op here thanks for all the responses- amother above who said ei covers it- I live in ny but my son is 5y/o- any other ideas about if board of Ed covers it

amother

Post Mon, Oct 07 2013, 6:07 pm
dr jeffrey cooper (im assuming thats the dr cooper youre referring to) is a really excellent doctor and I believe he developed a computer program you can use at home for your therapy. im not sure if the computer program is good for your childs problem or if dr cooper would recommend in-office therapy as being more effective for your childs particular issues, but try asking him about it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics