Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Attention ALL Converts
Previous  1  2

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 2:15 am
Unfortunately the play I am working on is a Black Comedy.
No singing.

As I network I will keep my eyes open and let you know If I run into people that are familiar with musical theater.

I would suggest you start by buying a magazine or newspaper for the arts.
used to buy Backstage West when I was auditioning they must have something like that where you live. Go to one of the larger Newsstands--the one that carries every type of periodical and read it from cover to cover.

I am hoping to be in the tehater distric at the end of January meeting with some people, I'll keep my ears open.

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 2:24 am
Black as in DARK comedy, NOT African American comedy.

syrima

Post Mon, Oct 14 2013, 11:25 am
I know a few convert's stories and I think one of the above posters put it well when she said it depends on the level of 'frumkeit" the family of origin had. And also on the close or distant relationship between the convert and his/her parents. Also many times converts travel long distances in order to study Judaism, and on top of that they are encouraged to be cordial but not spend toooo much time with family. So that all becomes a part of the mix.
I could see a scenario where at first the parents are somewhat Ok with it -after all, it is a spiritual journey, and then when they see how all-encompassing (and interfering) frum Judaism practices are, to have a negative, bitter, or disappointed reaction.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics