Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Non-vaccinated babysitter around newborn?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 5:05 am
My neighbor and best friend's teenage daughter is like an extended part of the family. She has been babysitting for us for years. I just had a baby and we could really use extra help, and she offered, but I'm apprehensive because none of the kids in her family are vaccinated. Would you have someone not vaccinated around a newborn?

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 7:29 am
No.
Not around an unvaccinated newborn.
I would be fine with her being around older vaccinated children.

SplitPea

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 8:02 am
Have you any your husband had your titters checked? You are most likely "unvaccinated" as well (Lost immunity) we had HALF the vaccines they give kids these days! If you plan to require blood work on everyone who is around your baby sure... Most of the population is "unvaccinated" in one area or another.

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 8:13 am
SplitPea wrote:
Have you any your husband had your titters checked? You are most likely "unvaccinated" as well (Lost immunity) we had HALF the vaccines they give kids these days! If you plan to require blood work on everyone who is around your baby sure... Most of the population is "unvaccinated" in one area or another.

I have immunity for the things that I am worried about. I confirmed this with a blood test.

mdpa

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 9:19 am
No way. Some people are so cautious they don't let anyone near their newborns period. I am not at all that way and my boys were at their shalom zachors, let friends and friends' kids hold my babies, etc... but non- vaccinated? No.

ChutzPAh

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 9:40 am
Pertussis (whooping cough ) is very dangerous for newborns. I would not knowingly have an unvaccinated babysitter.

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 11:05 am
No.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 11:35 am
Yes.

I would NOT let anyone touch/hold my newborn without washing their hands OR if there was any evidence of a cold/cough/cold sore, but vaccination history means little to me. Pertussis is spread even by vaccinated individuals. We can do our best, but l'maisa vaccination does little to ensure disease won't be spread by an individual to one's baby.

Last edited by Hashem_Yaazor on Thu, Oct 17 2013, 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bruria

Post Wed, Oct 16 2013, 11:54 pm
Tough situation, but you have to give priority to your baby than to her feelings.... Having a person not vaccinated around a newborn is simply too dangerous. You would never forgive yourself if something happened to your baby.

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 12:15 am
I would not.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 12:52 am
No way. My ex and I had all of our booster shots updated when DD got hers.

She's allergic to the pertussis shot, so we had to keep her away from all play groups, day cares and other large groups of kids until she was 5 - doctor's orders. The only babysitter she had until then was her birth mom, because we knew that the immunity was there.

If an adult has the pertussis vaccine they can still transmit it, but it will be a much weaker case, and not nearly as dangerous to a child.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 17 2013, 1:37 pm
FF, where did you get that information from? The adult may get a weaker case, true, but the case a child can get is not dependent really on who transmitted it, but rather on one's own antibodies to fight it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics