Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Is Summer Camp a Necessity?
Previous  1  2

Happy Mom

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 1:57 pm
I think that we've slowly as a community raised our standards for a lot of things, summer camp being one of them. There were lots of things that used to be luxuries that people have started to think of as necessities.

Why would summer camp be necessary for kids who have a parent who can be home for them? I think a good question to ask is where does time as a family factor in, and if that is a luxury or necessity. It seems to me that many, many families are so busy working to provide for the 'new' luxuries that they feel their children can't do without, that their families lives have paid the price. Is it surprising that the kids at risk issue has grown as families have been breaking down for lack of time invested to keep them strong?

For the last two summers, my older kids have gone to day camps, and only for four weeks each. If we couldn't afford it, I wouldn't feel guilty for a minute. Two boys go for half the summer, two girsl go for half the summer, which means all the kids are home but two, even when some are in camp. We do lots of fun actitivities and trips, relax together and shmooze. There's a lot to be said for just hanging around as a family together. Our summers are great - and my kids have said it's more fun to be home than to be at camp.

The problem is most families are so overscheduled that they aren't used to being around each other, and it doesn't take long for everyone to get on each other's nerves. Being with our kids all day long in a consistent relaxed way is a skill that takes practice. The price you pay for a loving and stable family is doing the hard stuff, and seeing through the boredom, finding new options, and creating a home environment that your kids WANT to spend time in.

Isn't a long period of time home with your kids an incredible opportunity to build your relationship in new ways?? I absolutely don't believe that fun activities with strangers all day long have more value than time spent in a loving home.

Marney wrote:
BH, we have managed to send our children to day camps for the last few years. They enjoy it and the routine and I am able to keep up my work schedule. However, it so darn expensive! I am not saying that the cost isn't worth it - because between the staff and the programming the camp works so hard and is wonderful. It is worth every penny for what they do and more.

When I was young I never once went to camp. During the summer, you went to the library, read books, took day trips to the local museums, the beach, hung out at Bubbie's house, watched TV, played with your friends, etc. Unstructured time to veg out. Now, camp is like school, in a way. Kids expect to go. Part of it is because camp is used like school or day care so both parents can work. However, even in families where one parent is home, camp is still a given.

What do you all think? Is summer camp a given today? Does anyone NOT send their kids? Does anyone have a kid that doesn't like going to camp and wants the downtime from school and schedule? Does your camp give scholarships? How do we all afford it? Do you choose day camp or sleep away?

Camp registration time is coming up....

greenfire

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 3:44 pm
I actually am faced with the dilema myself. Each of my kids went to camp once and hated it. Now my younger one went last summer - cried - wrote horrific letters home - and now wants to go back. When the kids were little we had more fun together doing stuff - we called it camp mommy. I have no money and work very hard to get several scholarships put together to make it work. Is it really that worthwhile to beg when I have bigger issues than camp. Sometimes we just need to chill - but what I don't get is why she wants to go back. My other kids did not want to. Originally I expected her to be a camp kid - but after last summer I can't figure it out.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 6:10 pm
There must be something your child is looking forward too. Camp is neither all good nor all bad.

Happy Mom

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 9:31 pm
You seem to be stressed about coming up with the money to make it happen. Why do you have to push yourself so hard just because a child says she wants something? Whether she wants it or not isn't the issue, it's if you are willing and able to provide it that is the issue. I don't think there's anything wrong with denying my child something if it causes me that kind of stress - I call it keeping my life in balance and my priorities in focus.

If you have bigger issues, then it sounds like you need to deal with the bigger issues. Smile

greenfire wrote:
I actually am faced with the dilema myself. Each of my kids went to camp once and hated it. Now my younger one went last summer - cried - wrote horrific letters home - and now wants to go back. When the kids were little we had more fun together doing stuff - we called it camp mommy. I have no money and work very hard to get several scholarships put together to make it work. Is it really that worthwhile to beg when I have bigger issues than camp. Sometimes we just need to chill - but what I don't get is why she wants to go back. My other kids did not want to. Originally I expected her to be a camp kid - but after last summer I can't figure it out.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 9:42 pm
My bigger issues are connected - If she was happier in camp - it would be worth begging her in - because I have issues w/other kids. but she cried & cried and wrote horrible letters - so why should I beg 4 dif scholarships if she aint happy. that is the prob - I'm not getting her wanting to go back - if she had fun then I would understand

mumoo

Post Mon, Jan 29 2007, 12:44 am
Some of my children would love the unstructured free time all summer and would sleep, read, and go to 7-11 for Slurpees. I feel camp is necessary because it has the built in davening and learnng seder.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics