Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Hippie Cookbooks RULE!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 1:56 am
In the search for good cookbooks, the best that I have found have all been from used book stores (cheap!), and they are all from the 70's. When the "whole food vegetarian" craze was the big new thing, tons of these books came out.

The most famous is the "Moosewood" series, that I still love and adore. I recently got the "Cabbagetown Cookbook", and it has wonderful recipes too.

The great thing about them is that they don't rely on packaged products at all, focus on whole grains and fresh ingredients, and if they are vegan, they can easily be converted into either meat or dairy dishes. They don't usually use products that are hard to find, either.

They're also useful if you're expecting a vegetarian Shabbos guest, and you're drawing a blank as to what to make for them.

If you have a favorite hippie cookbook, post it here!

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 11:10 am
It's not quite a fave but I have some good recipes from The Supermarket Handbook.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 11:32 am
Wonderful.

I will look into those books on the Alibris website.

spinkles

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 12:44 pm
I love those cookbooks too! I don't cook so much out of them anymore, because they tend to be heavy on the animal products, but I love the idealism and the passion and the simplicity. The Tassajara Bread Book taught me to bake. It has Buddhist stuff so some people here might not be comfortable, but it's a great one.... Also the original Laurel's Kitchen--its recipes aren't always so great, but the essays and woodcuts are fabulous. I also like the More With Less cookbook--you have to ignore the Mennonite stuff in there, but the voluntary simplicity part is really good.

granolamom

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 1:14 pm
my mil has one of the moosewood cookbooks, I remember finding it very heavy on dairy. otherwise, I got some good recipes from it.

I will search my library for some of the books mentioned in this thread, thanks for posting

imasinger

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 1:35 pm
I use the Moosewood cookbooks a lot, too. There's a newer one that is lighter on dairy and fats.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 2:22 pm
in one of the newer (90s) ones there is a recipe for something called "pasta verde." spinach, ricotta, pasta, don't remember the rest but amazingly delish

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Oct 20 2013, 7:52 pm
chana_f wrote:
I love those cookbooks too! I don't cook so much out of them anymore, because they tend to be heavy on the animal products, but I love the idealism and the passion and the simplicity. The Tassajara Bread Book taught me to bake. It has Buddhist stuff so some people here might not be comfortable, but it's a great one.... Also the original Laurel's Kitchen--its recipes aren't always so great, but the essays and woodcuts are fabulous. I also like the More With Less cookbook--you have to ignore the Mennonite stuff in there, but the voluntary simplicity part is really good.

Oooh, I forgot about those! I had those when I was younger, but they got lost in a move at some point. Thanks for the reminder, I need to get them again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics