Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What is your method for making coffee on shabbos?
Previous  1  2

Hannah!

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 9:13 am
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 11:03 am
only1 wrote:
It's not bishul because the coffee is already cooked.

how is it not bishul to boil water on shabbos??

When you use an automatic coffemaker, it first turns on a cooking mechnism to boil the water. I cannot see any way how it wouldn't be bishul. Even if you would add hot water before the timer went off, the "fire" would turn on and heat the water more and reheating liquid on shabbos is assur, The coffee is roasted true, but I still see no way to do it without some form of lighting a fire and cooking.

My aunt asked a shaila and was told she can do it for YT but not for shabbat, personally I like it iced and if Needed I have no problem brewing before shabbat and drinking it cold. If I'm desparate, I use instant....Or diet coke!

Hannah, starbucks is not allowed to sell anything that is more than 24 hours old, because they have to listen to the dept of health. There is nothing dangerous about storing coffee in the fridge, just after a day or two it loses its flavor.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 1:47 pm
the din of the coffeepot is like a crockpot.

mimsy7420

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 4:49 pm
Marney wrote:
Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I think I will buy a small container of instant and try it out. Otherwise, maybe I will brew a small strong container of coffee and use it like tea essence on shabbos with hot water from the urn. Maybe I will use the essence and add a bit of instant too? Why not go crazy! Smile

Call up or go on the different sites of different instant coffees and request samples.

mimsy7420

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 4:53 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
only1 wrote:
It's not bishul because the coffee is already cooked.

how is it not bishul to boil water on shabbos??

When you use an automatic coffemaker, it first turns on a cooking mechnism to boil the water. I cannot see any way how it wouldn't be bishul. Even if you would add hot water before the timer went off, the "fire" would turn on and heat the water more and reheating liquid on shabbos is assur, The coffee is roasted true, but I still see no way to do it without some form of lighting a fire and cooking.

My aunt asked a shaila and was told she can do it for YT but not for shabbat, personally I like it iced and if Needed I have no problem brewing before shabbat and drinking it cold. If I'm desparate, I use instant....Or diet coke!

Hannah, starbucks is not allowed to sell anything that is more than 24 hours old, because they have to listen to the dept of health. There is nothing dangerous about storing coffee in the fridge, just after a day or two it loses its flavor.

Have you heard of automatic timers on lights?

greenfire

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 5:30 pm
only1 wrote:

Just to be controversial Only1 - we do not eat the lights.

Some people use tea bags - some make essesence
some people consider it bishul - some obviously do not

mimsy7420

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 5:50 pm
I know it's not bishul because the coffee beans are already cooked. I'm not sure why you are allowed to have water boiled on a timer, I'll ask.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 6:03 pm
only1 wrote:
I know it's not bishul because the coffee beans are already cooked. I'm not sure why you are allowed to have water boiled on a timer, I'll ask.

I think there are just dif opinions
it would fall same for crockpot & cholent, etc.
the coffee is already roasted - so I do not get it either
but I have coffee urn for those who have dif minhag

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 6:18 pm
greenfire wrote:
only1 wrote:

last I checked my automatic timer on my lights was not boiling water for my coffee!

A crockpot is verydifferent from a coffemaker, the food in the crockpot is being kept war and is not reboiling or boiling on shabbat. a Coffeemaker would have to boil the water to make the coffee, otherwise it does not work.

greenfire

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 6:56 pm
Did you know some people actually do not use crockpots? There are also some people who will put their crockpots on right before shabbos - hence the food is actually being cooked on shabbos. Again this falls on dif opinions - asked by dif rav by people with dif minhagim.

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Jan 29 2007, 6:40 am
Mommy3.5 wrote:
greenfire wrote:
only1 wrote:

last I checked my automatic timer on my lights was not boiling water for my coffee!

A crockpot is verydifferent from a coffemaker, the food in the crockpot is being kept war and is not reboiling or boiling on shabbat. a Coffeemaker would have to boil the water to make the coffee, otherwise it does not work.

But you are still setting a timer to do a malacha on shabbos. So what is the difference? I've asked a few Rabbis if using the automatic coffeemaker on shabbos is ok, and they all said yes. I will find out why.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 29 2007, 6:52 am
only1 wrote:
Mommy3.5 wrote:
greenfire wrote:
only1 wrote:

But you are still setting a timer to do a malacha on shabbos. So what is the difference? I've asked a few Rabbis if using the automatic coffeemaker on shabbos is ok, and they all said yes. I will find out why.

I thought you already asked and the answer was yes - so why make your life miserable - don't worry I'll drink coffee with you - good strong spanish cafe' con leche

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 29 2007, 8:08 am
You can actually put a coffee pot on atimer that will grind the beans for you Shabbos morning too, as well as perking them afterwards.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note