Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My son may have a peanut allergy--HELP

miami85

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 1:37 pm
Even though my baby--15 months-- has had peanut butter before, last night after he had eaten a mini-bagel w/peanut butter his face had these raised welts on it. Only on one side, and no others came out (we tried smearing some peanut butter on the other cheek to see if he would react). There was no swelling or difficulty breathing (B"H). There isn't a history of peanut allergies in my family so I'm kind of panicking a little here because peanut butter is kind of a mainstay of our pantry. We called the doctor and we gave him benedryl and it seems to have helped. What is the next step here? Do pediatricians diagnose allergies or do we have to take him to an allergist.

bubbebia

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 1:41 pm
Your pediatrician should recommend he see an allergist for testing. If he doesn't, tell him you want a consult and who does he recommend? Insist on it. This is not something to play games with! And don't let it wait for a week or 2. Do this now.

ladida

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 2:50 pm
See an allergist. Ask your pediatrition.
Mine didn't want to send my baby until age 2 but he had eaten honey nut cheerios and other nuts and only reacted to peanuts. I insisted and we took the kid to an allergist.
Its been pretty helpful but our first reaction to peanuts was a lot more severe.

mandksima

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 3:43 pm
Just wanted you to know of a great alternative if your child can't have peanut butter:
Sunbutter

Amazon has it for about 1/2 the price when bought in 2 5 lb tubs.

Anyway, I am off peanuts and vegetable oils so I can't use commercial peanut butter but I love this product! I buy the organic one and add a little sea salt. Sunflower seeds have great health benefits too!

Marion

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 4:32 pm
Peanut allergies tend to progress, so having had it before doesn't guarantee anything...

mummy-bh

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 3:27 am
mandksima wrote:
Just wanted you to know of a great alternative if your child can't have peanut butter:
Sunbutter

Amazon has it for about 1/2 the price when bought in 2 5 lb tubs.

Anyway, I am off peanuts and vegetable oils so I can't use commercial peanut butter but I love this product! I buy the organic one and add a little sea salt. Sunflower seeds have great health benefits too!

We like this one
http://www.eskalfoods.com/eska.....cts-1

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 7:50 am
Marion wrote:
Peanut allergies tend to progress, so having had it before doesn't guarantee anything...

Yes. Also, because they are known to be potentially very dangerous, it is not recommended that you do your own "homemade" testing by attempting to expose him to peanuts again.

My ds tested positive for a peanut allergy, despite having no reaction when he once ate a small amount of it. A test a year later showed that he seemed to have grown out of it. My laid back allergist still told me to wait another year and not attempt to feed him any until we do a controlled trial in his office.

Allergies are very manageable. But they are serious stuff.

littleprincess

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 10:22 am
Nothing to freak out about a peanut allergy. It's the easiest thing to stay away from
Most school nowadays are peanut free
DS was allergic to ALL nuts, wheat, soy, milk, sesame, peas, tomatoes...
He b'h outgrew most of his allergies (just by staying away from these foods for a very long time)
Right now he's still allergic to peanuts and never had a problem dealing with it

As mentioned above, take him for allergy testing and if u need any advice or support feel free to PM me
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics