Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Winter here we come...

myself

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 8:06 am
Winter has arrived [at least in my part of the world], and along with it coughs, colds and sniffles, which generally last until winter ends.

Apart from giving a multivitamin, what do you give your kids to keep runny noses, runny eyes, fever and coughs at bay? I've been thinking about Children's Echinacea drops but would like to hear your ideas!

yo'ma

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 8:58 am
myself wrote:
Winter has arrived [at least in my part of the world]

I told my kids that today is going to somewhat cold, not reach 60, and they should wear their sweatshirts. My dd leaves and then texts me that it's not cold. I double check the weather forecast and realized it was on NY's weather Rolling Eyes . Too bad because I thought I have another week to change the clothing for the seasons. Mad

greenfire

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 9:10 am
washing your hands when you come in from outside or are near someone else with a cold and also before you eat ... I always hope it stops the spread of germs

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 9:12 am
Washing hands as soon as they come in from school or anywhere and washing again (hot water and soap) before eating. Anything.
For school buy them those little hand gels that attach to their zipper or briefcase.

Multivitamins and Vitamin C (or an orange a day).

Clean noses with tissues and wash hands afterwards.

Wrap up warm outside and don't keep the house TOO warm because a: germs breed in the warmth and b: too much of a dramatic change between in and out.

bubbebia

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 10:17 am
Washing your hands is the single most important thing one can do to prevent illness. Teaching your kids from day 1 is the key to diminishing a whole pile of the stomach things that go around. It will also forestall a lot of the respiratory things that get passed around when you touch things that other snot-laden hands have touched. However, you will never be able to forestall it all. Things like colds, etc. are airborne. They disperse fairly quickly and widely and unless you are wearing a mask, you can't escape them all.

myself

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 3:03 pm
Thanks ladies! I will keep an eye on the hand washing. As I type this I can hear constant coughing from the kids bedroom. One DS is particularly prone to coughing and though he doesn't cough much during the day, he coughs through the night almost all winter. It happens every year and I really want to put an end to this. Any ideas?

Esther23

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 3:42 pm
Coughing could come from dehydration. Give him plenty of water. Echinacea and elderberry are very good to prevent and treat colds. And of course vitamin c.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 23 2013, 5:31 pm
Coughing only at night is a very strong sign of a nasal drip/drip cough. A hot air vaporizer should do the trick. Nasal saline is also very effective-takes 2-3 days to start working. Vit D. I've heard that lotus drops-landaus health food store sells it is gr8 too. Refuah shleimah and hatzlucha

newmommy22

Post Thu, Oct 24 2013, 3:31 am
Coughing at night coold also be a
asthma maybe you should have him checked out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics