Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Westchester new york-- where to live closeby?
1  2  Next

westerner

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 6:13 pm
hi! looking for information about communities around westchester NY. I know white plains is not so far, but it doesnt seem like there is anything other than a non modern orthodox community (we are not modern orthodox, so that is not what we are looking for.)
is monsey commutable?
what about riverdale?
thanks NY ers!

Happy18

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 6:16 pm
White Plains is part of Westchester county. What kind of community are you looking for? Saying your not modern doesnt really narrow it down. Do you need to be close to a certain part of Westchester?

Maya

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 6:16 pm
Monsey is not too far. Depending on where in Westchester, I'd estimate it to be about a half hour drive.

westerner

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 6:21 pm
wow- that was fast for replies!
Valhalla is where I'd need to commute to, so it would need to be manageable to and from there. I dont want to go anywhere too south (ie too close to manhattan), or- what is "normally" a 15 minute commute, can also be a 50 minute commute, just depending on the day/hour etc!

I dont exactly know how to classify myself because again I am new to this website.
we arent really yeshivish - I am in medical school and I dont think many yeshivish girls go to medical school! but my husband wears a black hat on shabbos, and we are looking at only non co-ed schools. nothing too zionistic (though we arent like "anti israel" - but just to give you an idea of where we sit hashkafah wise I guess). we DO have a TV. we DO have internet. we DONT believe in signing things about not having them. I cover my hair with falls and sheitels. I DO wear sandals. and- I DO wear scrubs at the hospital but change into skirts as soon as I get to my car (ie would never go anywhere else other than hospital property in what we are required to wear).
does that help u at all?

amother

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 6:30 pm
young israel of newrochelle - apts nearby and kosher food /
anshe shalom is mo shul
riverdale is further away from the school
monsey is over the tapanzee bridge
whiteplains has a young israel and frum rabbi

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 6:36 pm
Sounds like Stamford Ct is a good fit. It's only 30 to 40 minutes to Valhalla . It's not very intense like Monsey. Yet it isn't very MO like Scarsdale, New Rochelle etc...
Very warm OOT , plain frum crowd and there is also a very nice yeshiva.
A young Israel and 2 Shuls to the rt of YI and a very nice day school
Go for a Shabbos

Happy18

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 6:45 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Sounds like Stamford Ct is a good fit. It's only 30 to 40 minutes to Valhalla . It's not very intense like Monsey. Yet it isn't very MO like Scarsdale, New Rochelle etc...
Go for a Shabbos

What yeshiva is separate in Stamford?

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 7:15 pm
Queens is not such a far drive, and there are a variety of communities that you might feel comfortable in. There are also plenty of schools to choose from and great Jewish amenities, ie many shuls, mikvaot, kosher grocery stores, restaurants, etc.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 7:32 pm
A new school opened inside temple israel of new rochelle its less money then other schools.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 7:37 pm
amother wrote:
A new school opened inside temple israel of new rochelle its less money then other schools.
]

I don't think the classes are separate. Besides WDS has lowered their tuition.

persephonefalls

Post Sun, Oct 27 2013, 9:21 pm
Happy18 wrote:
naturalmom5 wrote:
Go for a Shabbos

What yeshiva is separate in Stamford?

Bais Binyomin is in Stamford.

This is their outreach site, but it's a black hat yeshiva.

http://www.baisbinyomin.org/

amother

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 3:24 am
Stein yeshivah in yonkers

amother

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 3:25 am
Hebrew institute of white plains

amother

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 6:11 am
amother wrote:

Hebrew Institute of White Plains is most definitively NOT a place for someone who does not consider herself to be MO, and who does not support Israel. Neither, for that matter, is either the Yong Israel of New Rochelle or the Young Israel of Scarsdale. I don't know much about the Young Israel of White Plains, but that doesn't seem to be a good fit, either.

Nor is Westchester Day, Westchester Torah Academy (the "new school" in New Rochelle), Carmel, or SAR. All are MO. All are strong supporters of Israel. All are co-ed.

I've never heard anything particularly good about Stein Yeshiva.

Monsey may be do-able for you. Remember, you're going to have a reverse commute -- ie, you'll be going against traffic. It will also make schools easier for your kids.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 6:32 am
New roc glatt
Eden wok
Heislers
Seasons
Swril

amother

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 7:01 am
New school westchester torah academy
New rochelle
lower tuition

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 9:08 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

Hebrew Institute of White Plains is most definitively NOT a place for someone who does not consider herself to be MO, and who does not support Israel. Neither, for that matter, is either the Yong Israel of New Rochelle or the Young Israel of Scarsdale. I don't know much about the Young Israel of White Plains, but that doesn't seem to be a good fit, either.

Nor is Westchester Day, Westchester Torah Academy (the "new school" in New Rochelle), Carmel, or SAR. All are MO. All are strong supporters of Israel. All are co-ed.

I've never heard anything particularly good about Stein Yeshiva.

Monsey may be do-able for you. Remember, you're going to have a reverse commute -- ie, you'll be going against traffic. It will also make schools easier for your kids.

OP.... How old are your children ? And how much patience do you have for the politics and stress dealing with Monsey schools
The commute is definitely doable . I have gone from Monsey to Valhalla in 35 minutes . But part of Monsey is very very Chasidish or intensely rt wing yeshivish
The more modern part like Forshay and Wesley and Bais Torah are is extremely expensive

self-actualization

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 10:04 am
Deleted.

Last edited by self-actualization on Wed, Aug 27 2014, 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ima_Shelli

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 10:09 am
Washington Heights? Riverdale?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 10:21 am
amother wrote:
New school westchester torah academy
New rochelle
lower tuition

You said that. But saying it twice doesn't change the fact that its (I) co-ed; (ii) MO; and (iii) only goes up to 2d grade. Given that OP doesn't want MO, and doesn't want co-ed, what's the point?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating