Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Westchester new york-- where to live closeby?
Previous  1  2

chatouli

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 1:32 pm
I didn't look up the commute, but Young Israel of Riverdale may be a good fit. There are plenty of families who sound just like yours (sort of yeshivish-lite if we must categorize). These families send to Breuers aka Yeshiva Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch in Washington Heights. My friends who send there are happy.

Riverdale is a decently centrist MO or LWMO community for the most part but there is this element at YIR. People really like R' Willig. It's a pretty friendly shul.

I think there are a lot of downsides to Riverdale, but it may be the only community you would fit into until you get to Monsey. The Westchester communities are all far too left wing, from what you describe.

mommy08

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 1:39 pm
I think Riverdale would be a good option. Theres the YI where majority of guys wear black hat and the wives wear sheitels, falls, etc AND sandals. I think only option for school would be Bruers and theres a bus(if needed)

amother

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 1:54 pm
Riverdale would make the most sense for you, given that in some ways you are modern orthodox in practice but still view yourself as having a yeshivish hashkafa.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 2:39 pm
Carlos and gabbys
Corner cafe
Dunkin donuts
Ginger grill
Riverdelight
The candy box
New pizza store near riverdelight

princessleah

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 3:32 pm
Mt. Kisco in Westchester is a bit more right wing but I think it's far from Valhalla. I have a close friend in Riverdale who did her residency there. Are you doing rotations or residency? If you're going to be exhausted from your hours I don't think you want to be commuting from Monsey. It is NOT a reverse commute-- tons of people commute from Rockland to Westchester over the Tappan Zee every morning. It's a nightmare.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 7:20 pm
You sound like a good fit for the Teaneck/Bergenfield part of northern NJ. The commute from there to westchester is about 45 minutes.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 7:30 pm
princessleah wrote:
Mt. Kisco in Westchester is a bit more right wing but I think it's far from Valhalla. I have a close friend in Riverdale who did her residency there. Are you doing rotations or residency? If you're going to be exhausted from your hours I don't think you want to be commuting from Monsey. It is NOT a reverse commute-- tons of people commute from Rockland to Westchester over the Tappan Zee every morning. It's a nightmare.

Y'know, I take back my Monsey comments. You're right. Especially with building the new bridge, that could be a real disaster.

I don't know much about Mt Kisco since they got a new rabbi after R Goldscheider left, but at least at that point, it was MO, but more to the right. The problem is that I don't think there are any schools up that way.

spring13

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 9:05 pm
My husband works very near where you'll be going to school. He commutes from Passaic to there in about 45 minutes (up to an hour in traffic). We ended up in Passaic because it was the closest normal, affordable place. Westchester was mostly too MO (we're right wing YU/out of town yeshivish-ish - more or less like you describe yourself) and too expensive, Riverdale was too much in NYC, and Monsey - well, you couldn't pay me to live in Monsey. We though about Teaneck/Bergenfield, but in the end Passaic won out. We're pretty happy here! We're center/left of the majority of the community, but find it to be chilled out overall, and we definitely have a good chevra of people who are like us.

Feel free to pm me if you want to know more. We'd be happy to have you for Shabbos if you want to check things out.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 10:05 pm
spring13 wrote:
My husband works very near where you'll be going to school. He commutes from Passaic to there in about 45 minutes (up to an hour in traffic). We ended up in Passaic because it was the closest normal, affordable place. Westchester was mostly too MO (we're right wing YU/out of town yeshivish-ish - more or less like you describe yourself) and too expensive, Riverdale was too much in NYC, and Monsey - well, you couldn't pay me to live in Monsey. We though about Teaneck/Bergenfield, but in the end Passaic won out. We're pretty happy here! We're center/left of the majority of the community, but find it to be chilled out overall, and we definitely have a good chevra of people who are like us.

Feel free to pm me if you want to know more. We'd be happy to have you for Shabbos if you want to check things out.

Not sure why it's necessary to put down an entire community just because you don't feel it's the right fit for you. I am a very center, middle of the road type and live very happily in Monsey as do a lot of my friends. There are so many different types of people and neighborhoods here, probably covering the full spectrum of orthodox jewish people.

Maya

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 10:08 pm
amother wrote:
spring13 wrote:

Not sure why it's necessary to put down an entire community just because you don't feel it's the right fit for you. I am a very center, middle of the road type and live very happily in Monsey as do a lot of my friends. There are so many different types of people and neighborhoods here, probably covering the full spectrum of orthodox jewish people.

Yes, but that's changing. Give it ten years and it's completely Chassidish.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 10:19 pm
Maya wrote:
amother wrote:
spring13 wrote:

Yes, but that's changing. Give it ten years and it's completely Chassidish.

LOL..are you serious? entire litvish schools of a thousand kids are going to just dwindle away within ten years? neither myself nor anyone I know of is even contemplating moving. It's true that the chassidish community is growing by leaps and bounds but that will not stop the litvish black hat community from growing as well. the entire forshay, wesley hills, pleasant ridge, pomona communities and many others I haven't mentioned are growing constantly and are not in jeopardy of being "taken over".

amother

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 10:27 pm
spring13 wrote:

What time of day does your dh commute and how? I commute to Westchester from Passaic a lot and rarely make it in less than an hour. I have had many times where it's taken me well over an hour. I do think OP would fit well in Passaic but are you sure you're not misrepresenting the commute.

spring13

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 10:35 pm
amother wrote:
spring13 wrote:

What time of day does your dh commute and how? I commute to Westchester from Passaic a lot and rarely make it in less than an hour. I have had many times where it's taken me well over an hour. I do think OP would fit well in Passaic but are you sure you're not misrepresenting the commute.

Where he works is pretty close to the bridge in Tarrytown, not further east: the med school in Valhalla is 10 minutes away from him. He might also have one or two little shortcuts or quirky things that help shave a few minutes here and there, he's like that. But you're right that it often takes longer. It's not an easy commute, but it's not crazy either. Plenty of people here go to Brooklyn daily...

amother

Post Mon, Oct 28 2013, 10:46 pm
spring13 wrote:
amother wrote:
spring13 wrote:

Where he works is pretty close to the bridge in Tarrytown, not further east: the med school in Valhalla is 10 minutes away from him. He might also have one or two little shortcuts or quirky things that help shave a few minutes here and there, he's like that. It's not an easy commute, but it's not crazy either. Plenty of people here go to Brooklyn daily...

From her other posts it sounded like OP did not want a 50 minute commute. I just wanted to clarify that I'm not crazy for finding it a hard commute. I do know that people commute to Brooklyn, I've lived in Passaic 25+ year Very Happy
I would love tips for getting across the bridge faster. If you're dh has good ideas I would def pm you. I don't like to give away my location but it would be well worth it to same some time.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 4:11 pm
amother wrote:
You said that. But saying it twice doesn't change the fact that its (I) co-ed; (ii) MO; and (iii) only goes up to 2d grade. Given that OP doesn't want MO, and doesn't want co-ed, what's the point?

Adding to reasons why Westchester Torah Academy is not a good fit, its educational model has not been well received, it is not self-sustaining, and, it is having trouble recruiting and retaining students.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 4:19 pm
You do realize this thread is 6 years old? The issue is surely resolved by now.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 5:40 pm
My daughter sounds similar to you, and went to Einstein. The community there is wonderful. Are you just starting med school? You might want to consider the Pelham Parkway community. It's a small, down to earth community, and inexpensive. Imo you should try and minimize your commute as much as possible. You'll be very busy, and will want to maximize your time with your family. Riverdale could be a good option, as well. Rabbi Willig is wonderful. Housing is quite expensive though. New Rochelle could also work. I'm assuming you're children are young, so it shouldn't matter if it's not exactly your type. Good luck wherever you end up.

amother
Black

Post Sat, Jun 22 2019, 10:42 pm
monsey (neighborhoods like pomona etc)
clifton/passaic
kew garden hills
teaneck

all of these neighborhoods can be pricey though

dankbar

Post Sat, Jun 22 2019, 11:17 pm
she must've finished her residency by now

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Jun 22 2019, 11:29 pm
SAR
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating