Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Pantry

SS6099

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 11:15 pm
How does one keep her pantry neat and organized? What kind of containers do you use and in what sequence?
My pantry is a wreck and needs organization...
TIA!

SS6099

Post Thu, Oct 31 2013, 11:18 pm
I forgot to add that I have wire shelves so I need a suggestion for something to put on it so the stuff shouldn't fall over like it does....

beckster

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 12:27 am
I use different baskets to organize things according to there use.
I have one for baking ingredients, rice and beans, small snacks, canned goods etc. It makes it easy for when you need a few things from the same category, you just pull the basket out and have everything you need.

Target has all different kinds of baskets, here's a couple of options. Obviously the bigger the pantry the bigger your baskets can be but mine is really small...
http://www.target.com/p/itso-m.....asket
http://www.target.com/p/banana.....asket
http://www.target.com/s?search.....cet=0

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 1:22 pm
Just put sheets of cardboard over the shelves so you have a solid surface. Hold them in place with duct tape, or, if you want the whole thing to look nice, cover the cardboard AND hold it in place with the self-stick plastic sheet (Con-Tact) of your choice.

there is no "right" way to organize the pantry, as it depends on everything from the size and shape of the shelves to the kinds of things you store and how often you use them. In general, keep the things used most often at waist-to-eye level, everything else higher up or lower down. Exception: heavy items should go at hip-to-waist height.

Transparent containers are best because you can see what's in them. Small, easily messed-up items like spice containers, instant- mix envelopes and so on can go in shoe boxes or similar containers. Bags of things like lentils and beans can go in 24-ounce gefilte fish jars. 5-lb. sacks of flour and sugar should go in appropriately sized canisters or jars with very wide mouths.

It's convenient to store together either similar foods (canned veggies of all types, hot beverages, pastas and grains) or items for specific purposes (baking supplies). Of course there will be some overlap (cocoa powder is both a baking supply and a hot-beverage supply; baking powder is both a baking supply and a cleaning supply, not that you should store cleaning supplies in the pantry. You shouldn't.) but it's your pantry so you decide where it makes the most sense.

You can also look at your local supermarket to see how they classify and organize foods and see if that makes sense to you for your pantry.

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 01 2013, 1:49 pm
Before investing in commercially-available "organizers", make your own out of cardboard, or press into service whatever kinds of containers you have lying around. Just because you bought something as a desk organizer doesn't mean it won't make a fine parking garage for kitchen utensils. (or vice versa. I use a kitchen cutlery tray as a desk organizer for pens, pencils, scissors and so on. )

Once you have played around with various improvised devices, you will have a better idea of what works for you, what if anything you need to buy and in what sizes. You may decide that a nice big shoebox works perfectly well and you don't need to waste money on a basket. Or not. I like shoeboxes because, unlike most baskets, they are perfectly right-angled and line up side-by-side with no wasted space in between.

If your pantry has extremely deep shelves, you may be better off building in a few narrower shelves between the existing ones. Experiment first with the classic brick-and-board shelf assembly, or crates or heavy cartons set on their sides.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics