Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Any ideas for cheap mini-vacation?
Previous  1  2

brooklyn

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 10:24 am
To each their own, NYC for me is not a change of scenery. I'd rather drive an hour or two and go to the Poconos, upstate, maybe the Jersey shore. That would be a change of scenery, and truthfully probably cheaper that a hotel in the city.

Kmommy18

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 10:52 am
brooklyn wrote:
To each their own, NYC for me is not a change of scenery. I'd rather drive an hour or two and go to the Poconos, upstate, maybe the Jersey shore. That would be a change of scenery, and truthfully probably cheaper that a hotel in the city.

Again, I have to agree with you brooklyn... First of all, to get a decent room at a hotel in the city, you'd end up paying enough to go on a 3 day vacation in the poconos! Second of all, I could go to dinner in the city any time if I really wanted... I just want to go AWAY for a few days... Like out of NY kind of away...

avigayil

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 9:03 pm
What are some good places to go in the poconos? What do you do for food?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 21 2007, 9:31 am
Squash wrote:

The Marriot Seaview Villas is a resort very close to Atlantic City. It's a time share thing. They actually just called to invite us for 3 days and 2 nights for $99. Of course we have to take a 90 minute tour where they try to convince you to buy timeshares. If you know that you could resist their pitch it might be good for you. Also near AC there's a kosher restaurant.

If you want their number, PM me.

The reason why we're not going there is because we were there last year (without the timeshare tour, we paid regular price) and although it is a beautiful, nice, clean, new place and we really enjoyed it, their beds are EXTREMELY soft. Way too soft for me. I felt like I was drowning there. If you like that, you would enjoy.

Squash- I know that you have to be at least 25 and above to qualify for these promotions. Would you know if this one as well? (I'm not 25)...

cindy324

Post Sun, Jan 21 2007, 10:04 am
Quote:
What are some good places to go in the poconos? What do you do for food?

When we go to the poconos, we usually rent a house. During the week you can rent a house for probably less than $100/night, depending on the size of the house. Better yet , if you can share with some friends a 2 or 3 bdrm house it's even cheaper. There are tons of realty offices that do vacation rentals . We usually go to the Lake HArmony area, there's lots of skiing , tubing , snowmobiling to do. We always take our on food and a hot plate. The houses have full kitchens, so refrigerator is no problem, just make sure to take along shelf liners. They also have fireplaces, you can buy firewood in any grocery in town. A lot of houses have a fire pit too, if you want to roast marshmallows outside LOL

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Sun, Jan 21 2007, 10:17 am
Hi Kmommy,

Not sure how far this is from NYC, but Lancaster, PA is beautiful and there's a shul/kosher grocery in the city of Lancaster. Most people stay in Lancaster county (15 mins away) because that's the big tourist area with the Amish stuff and outlets.

We LOVE it there, nice hotels at reasonable rates, kosher food, minyanim, and the Amish are so wonderful and the area so charming! Tons to do there.

Have fun where ever you go!

cindy324

Post Sun, Jan 21 2007, 10:36 am
btMOM, could you post which hotel you stayed, please? Souds like something I might be interested in. Thanks. also was it far from the shul?

timeout

Post Sun, Jan 21 2007, 10:38 am
Cindy u took the words out of my mouth Smile

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Sun, Jan 21 2007, 10:45 am
Gosh, I can't remember the name of the hotel, it was a "suites" type place across the street from "Dutch Wonderland" (which by the way has a Kosher COncession open to the public when the park is open in the summer). I'll see if DH remembers the name of the hotel.

There are literally dozens of hotels there, so if you do some internet research I'm sure you'll find something you'll like.

Also, the shul is in the city of Lancaster - about 15 mins away. I think this is the info:

Congregation Degel Israel
Rabbi Gavriel Weinberg
1120 Columbia Ave.
Lancaster, PA 17603
(717) 397-0183

rvbubby

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 7:07 pm
Scranton is near the Poconos and you can PM Shanie5 as she caters there. Her food is good too. Not that I want to go there in the winter. I was just there for my grandson's Bar Mitzvah. Beautiful but way too cold for this newly transplanted gal who lives in Southern Ca. Can't wait to go home to the warmth!

shanie5

Post Mon, Jan 22 2007, 7:17 pm
thanx for the plug rv.
scranton also has nice hotels and howard johnsons depending on your budget.
for things to do in Pa. go to http://www.visitnepa.org .

or ask me and I'll tell u whats here.

israel

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 6:55 am
try panama in central america, its cheap. its summer time right now and they have very beautifull beaches! and again its cheap and warm.
its only 5hours flight.

withhumor

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 3:01 pm
We went to the Poconos when the kids were off for Chanukah. We took frozen food that I prepare din advance and bread and milk. We rented a very cheap DOUBLE room and a fridge. We ate all day like kings and queens. Locally, there’s tons to do skiing, snow tubing, and a HUGE outlet mall. Treat yourself for 2 hours and go tot the mall ALONE!

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 23 2007, 4:43 pm
I think cindy's idea sounded the best - romantic - fun and inexpensive and leave the kids behind

Kmommy18

Post Tue, Jan 30 2007, 6:25 pm
Squash, thanx so much for that phone number! Also, check you pm's...

Squash

Post Tue, Jan 30 2007, 8:07 pm
So happy it worked out for you kmommy!! Have fun and stay safe!!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics