Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Doctor refuses!!

amother

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 5:15 am
My baby is on Medicaid. Here's what happened. The doctor gave her a prescription for something she needs. When I went to fill it at the pharmacy, they said the insurance needs a prior authorization from the doctor. He said he WON'T do it!! (Also happened with same doctor with a procedure my husband needs.) AHHH! What kind of a doctor is this?! How to deal with this?!

aussiegal

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 5:31 am
why don't u switch doctors?

Marion

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 6:07 am
What's the difference between a prescription and an authorization? Doesn't the fact that you have the prescription show that the doctor thinks you need it? Isn't that authorization enough?

lubcoralsprings

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 7:59 am
The reason why he is doing this is because he doesn't want to lose his medical licesene by committing fraud. I suggest you take care of the medicad problem so you can get what you need. You can't expect a doctor to do illegal things, can you?

ButterflyGarden

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 8:48 am
I don't understand what's illegal here. Also the same doctor sees your baby and your husband? Don't you have a pediatrician?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 8:59 am
is the prescription old or expired?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 11:18 am
It's not illegal, it's a current prescription, and, yes its the same doctor!

amother

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 11:20 am

amother

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 11:21 am

red sea

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 12:19 pm
sounds like its time for a new dr

amother

Post Sun, Sep 03 2006, 1:13 pm
sometimes preauthirzations are a big pain in the neck for the Dr. They sometimes have to be on the phone forever or fill out a lot of paperwork to get something approved. If your doc really feels you need the item, but is too lazy to have the paperwork done by him or his staff, it is time for a new doc or definately a chat.

Zeeskeit

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 12:31 pm
I would explain to the dr. that giving such a perscription is like your kid scribbling something on a piece of fancy paper and trying to pass it off as a perscription! It's so ridiculous...if it wasn't so frustratingit would be laughable!!! LOL

Coke Slurpee

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 12:58 pm
Sometimes the pharmacy can call and get preauthorization, but otherwise I would go back to the dr. and tell him to prescribe a dif. med. that doesn't need preauthorization if he won't call the insurance company.

happyone

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 1:07 pm
It's a pain in the neck for dr. to get prior auth. Lots of insurance companies have that now with medications that can also be sold over the counter like Prevacid, Prilosec et...
It's your doctors responsibility to get the auth for you, and it's not your problem if it takes time. Legally and morally that's his responsibility, unless he can offer another medication that serves the same purpose and is covered without prior authorization. His nurse practitioner or office staff can do the work as well.
If he can't accommodate, it's time for a new doc!

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 1:10 pm
Medicaid doesn't cover some prescriptions like for allergies - one of my d has this problem - but the dr sometimes can authorize and also ask dr for samples - this can help too. Oh and change dr if they are no help to you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics