Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Budgeting

Zeeskeit

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 12:46 pm
Hi All!

I finally sat down to make a budget (after being married one year) but I'm not sticking to it at all....I use cash, don't write down what I used it for, and don't even remember what I alloted myself in each category for the month..... embarrassed Question Exclamation

Any tips?

shayna82

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 12:50 pm
make an excel spreadsheet with each column being a different catergory of expense... put everything down. examples:

FOOD
GAS
ELECTRICITY
HOUSE OR APARTMENT PAYMENTS
HEAT
INSURANCE
MISC (CLOTHING, MAKEUP, SHOES)

after subtracting all the bills that you pay a month from your total income, you will be left with a figure of which you would want to put most for savings, and some for things that you want but dont need.

good luck

Meema2Kids

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 1:01 pm
If you use cash, you could try the envelope system. At the beginning of the month, take out the appropriate amount of cash and put it into envelopes for your budget categories - groceries, personal, etc. Take the envelopes with you when you shop. When the money's gone, that's it!

When I'm doing cash I usually divide it up into four so I'm not carrying all that cash with me. Kind of dangerous.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 1:59 pm
We use mostly cash. I take only 1/4 of the grocery money with me to the store each week - and that way it lasts for the whole month.

Sometimes when I'm in the grocery store I know there are some things that I just can't get and keep within budget - so I skip a few "nice-to-haves" and just focus on the "need-to-haves".
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics