Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Recipes for leftover challah (not kugel or stuffing)?

Mevater

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 2:26 pm
What can I make, that's different, with leftover Challah, other than Challah kugel or stuffing?

Which is the best Challah kugel recipe you've tried?

Milk Munch

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 2:33 pm
bread crumbs, croutons, garlic bread and french toast

yOungM0mmy

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 3:09 pm
ok, this is probably gonna be useless, cuz I got no idea what its called, or any kind of timing or quantity, but maybe someone else will know what I'm talking about...here goes:
a friend's mother used to do this thing with old challah. basically you take all the inside of the challah, no crust, soak it in water with spices - pepper, paprika, garlic powder. Then squeeze the water out, squash the challah onto a tray like the kind for jelly roll - very shallow with just a little lip. bake until it gets hard and dry.
sounds really wierd, but it tasted good, would go well with chummous, salad, and dips....

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 3:23 pm
so then my recipe won't sound crazy either - I do not have measurements
soak challah in pieces in bowl w/water - squeeze out most water
add sugar, oil, parve milk, cinnamon, raisins, mushed bananas, sometimes apple slices
I use whipping attachment on kitchenaid cause it mixes real well
bake in oven 350 for I don't know - along time 2 hours
then refrigerate
We call it bread pudding - my mother used to make this all the time

Milk Munch

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 4:19 pm
yOungM0mmy wrote:
ok, this is probably gonna be useless, cuz I got no idea what its called, or any kind of timing or quantity, but maybe someone else will know what I'm talking about...here goes:
a friend's mother used to do this thing with old challah. basically you take all the inside of the challah, no crust, soak it in water with spices - pepper, paprika, garlic powder. Then squeeze the water out, squash the challah onto a tray like the kind for jelly roll - very shallow with just a little lip. bake until it gets hard and dry.
sounds really wierd, but it tasted good, would go well with chummous, salad, and dips....

sounds yummy...like flatbread, very creative!!

Milk Munch

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 6:06 pm
greenfire wrote:
so then my recipe won't sound crazy either - I do not have measurements
soak challah in pieces in bowl w/water - squeeze out most water
add sugar, oil, parve milk, cinnamon, raisins, mushed bananas, sometimes apple slices
I use whipping attachment on kitchenaid cause it mixes real well
bake in oven 350 for I don't know - along time 2 hours
then refrigerate
We call it bread pudding - my mother used to make this all the time

This also sounds really good. I wonder if it would work with whole grain...

amother

Post Thu, Feb 01 2007, 5:48 am
yOungM0mmy wrote:

I had that at the Baumgartens house in Crown Heights - I think it is a family recipe, but I can't remember the name.

greenfire

Post Thu, Feb 01 2007, 7:03 am
oops - I forgot eggs

Milkmunch - I'm sure wholegrain would be yummy too.

withhumor

Post Thu, Feb 01 2007, 3:29 pm
I slice the challah into neat slices and soak it overnight in a bowl with eggs and milk. Sunday morning, I fry them as French toast and I don’t have to have that whole mess. Sometimes I stack them in a pan with chocolate chips in between the layers and bake it, it becomes a ‘French toast cake’ for lunch!

BTW fried French toast freezes very well. Whenever I have leftovers, I freeze it. Recently we went away for a few days with the kids and I had a ton of French toast in the freezer (as well as other goodies. We double-wrapped it and warmed it up in the microwave. A taste of home far away from home!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes