Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
I have small babies-need advice abt. dr!

amother

Post Tue, Jan 30 2007, 10:07 pm
All 6 of my children have been slow to gain weight, no difference beteween boy and girl. They have always been underweight, but have gained weight in the same pattern. All seem to have a bit of trouble around 2 or 3 months of age, but then pick up after that. All are in the 3rd-5th percentile. It's amazing to see that their growth patterns are exactly the same for all!
We are with a new dr b/c of a move. Whereas my former dr who knew us from the birth of my first child, was not concerned about the weight pattern, my new dr (who has never even met my oldest 5 since they are not due for checkups yet), is very concerned about my baby (even though the weight pattern is the same!) He mentioned at a previous visit sending my baby for a complete blood workup (which includes a lot of very expensive tests) and the possibility of an overnight hospital stay to monitor how I feed my child. I know my baby is small, but looks exactly like her siblings and weights the same. I strongly believe it is a simple case of genetics at work, as did my former dr, who was a very experienced pediatrician. The current one is a very young dr and may not willing to even take a look at the other 5 charts.
I have an appt. coming up and I am so nervous! The baby has clearly gained, but I'm sure he will not be happy with how much. I am a wreak. She looks great, is developing properly.

Is he just being overly cautious? Should I go through with all that he recommends? Should I get another opinion?
Tests, hospitalization, care for my other children, loss of wages could easilly amount to thousands of dollars, plus putting my baby through so much when she is exactly like her siblings!

please help! what do you all think!

happyone

Post Tue, Jan 30 2007, 10:16 pm
If your child is developing well, and following her/his curve on the chart - although small - and you have the family history, I understand your not wanting to do further testing. The best way to go about this is to have your current dr. talk to your previous doctor and discuss your family history.
However, you should be aware that nutrition is what helps the brain develop at this stage and you don't want to miss an underlying condition.
good luck. Hope this dr. will be willing to work with you.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Tue, Jan 30 2007, 10:17 pm
Be firm, calm and polite and explain to your Ped that you will seek a second opinion before going ahead with the time, expense and difficulties associated with the testing he's suggesting.

Be sure to tell him that you appreciate that he's trying to cover all the bases and make sure your daughter is well.

Perhaps he could even consult with your previous pediatrician to understand that this low-weight issue is most likely just something that runs in your family.

BoomChickaPop

Post Tue, Jan 30 2007, 10:20 pm
To me, it sounds like you know your children and that the baby is just following in the footsteps of your other kids. I would not want a baby to be in the hospital and put through tests unnecessarily. Definitely your other kids charts should be factored in - I would even ask your new doctor to talk to your previous doctor to discuss his concerns.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 10:23 pm
OP here..thanks for the supportive responses.

The appointment is tomorrow morning...less than 12 hours from now.
I am soooooooooo nervous.
I can't sleep and I have awful butterflies in my stomache.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Feb 01 2007, 9:25 pm
how did it go?

JMto2

Post Thu, Feb 01 2007, 9:48 pm
You can PM me I had two children one under the charts and one above the charts in the 3rd percentile. And my doctor was great!

avigayil

Post Thu, Feb 01 2007, 10:23 pm
Can you have your older kids records sent to him to document your little one is no different from the sibs?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics