Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Bloody diaper/colonoscopy

hiya

Post Fri, Feb 02 2007, 10:51 am
anyone have any experience with this??? my son, who is 2 1/2 is having one done next week. I would appreciate any advice or info. thanx.

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Feb 02 2007, 11:13 am
I can honestly tell you that it will not be a very pleasent experience, but on a whole it might be worse for you, the mother, to watch your little boy being poked and prodded and sitting there in a hospital bed.
The worst part of the procedure is the fact that in order to do the colonoscopy they will have to empty his bowels. When a 18 year old or older has this procedure you have to drink this awful stuff and other things to empty the bowels, but for a kid or baby they will probably put a tube up through his nose that goes down into his stomach and pour the stuff down straight into his stomach so he doesn't have to drink the stuff. Now it sounds awful, and it will be awful to watch but it will all be over before you know it and will be better the you, the mother, because you will not be forcing a drink down his throat.
But that's the hardest part. They will then put him to sleep and do the scope and tell you what they found. And when he wakes up and you take him home he will have forgotten the whole experience and while you might be traumatised the whole time, I think you will probably be grateful to do something about the blood in his diaper and find out exactly what it is going on in there and get some answers.
For how long have you been seeing blood in his diaper?

mumsy23

Post Fri, Feb 02 2007, 11:31 am
Not to make light of the situation, but a bloody daiper does not neccissarily mean what you think it is Only1. For sure OP should go through with the colonoscopy, but a bloody diaper may be as simple as a food allergy.

Good luck OP!

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Feb 02 2007, 11:36 am
I don't recall giving a diagnosis.
I was simply writing about the colonoscopy.
I'm sure the OP is well aware what a bloody diaper could mean, there are plenty of possibilities and my mind did not for one second go the worst one, especially for a 2 1/2 year old.

hiya

Post Fri, Feb 02 2007, 11:37 am
He has blood for over 6 months. At first my pediatrician had me eliminate foods, one per week to see what he's allergic to. he is already off peanuts from before this. the blood did not go away. all his blood work and stool cultures came out normal. in order to empty his system, he has to be on a liquid diet for two days. that will be torture. he is a very stubborn, (and cute!) boy. my husband will just have to take him out during supper time. Luckily he loves lollipops, so that will help!
I am very nervous!

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Feb 02 2007, 11:40 am
I suggest that you not go to the colonoscopy alone, I hope your husband is coming also, and if he can't come, then maybe your mother or mother in law?

And procedure on a baby that is done in the hospital is hard for the mother, even if it just getting tonsils out. It's hard to see your baby in a hospital bed. But you'll probably remember the ordeal for much longer then he will!

hiya

Post Fri, Feb 02 2007, 11:49 am
My husband will iyh come with me. Yes, I am forsure more nervous and will be traumatized too. I heard that kids are crazy when they wake up from anestetic. did you ever hear of that? Luckily its early in the morning. He wont be able to drink at all that day. I am gonna have a lot of tantrums throughout all this.

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Feb 02 2007, 11:59 am
hiya wrote:
My husband will iyh come with me. Yes, I am forsure more nervous and will be traumatized too. I heard that kids are crazy when they wake up from anestetic. did you ever hear of that? Luckily its early in the morning. He wont be able to drink at all that day. I am gonna have a lot of tantrums throughout all this.

I think he will be more likely to wake up groggy and sleepy from the anasthetic.
It's good you got a morning appointment, because he won't have to fast for too long.
Make a big pot of chicken soup, and strain it well to give him for those two days when he can only drink.
Also powerade is good to give him to drink besides for clear juices.

hiya

Post Fri, Feb 02 2007, 12:02 pm
thanx for your help. have a good shabbos!

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Feb 02 2007, 12:15 pm
hiya wrote:
thanx for your help. have a good shabbos!

Good luck!
Let us know how it goes.

Jo

Post Sat, Feb 03 2007, 4:04 pm
My son was really grumpy after his anaesthetic. He was also 2 at the time. He was STARVING having been nil by mouth for about 9 hrs by the time the op was over and he was in recovery. Once he had some food and drink in him he was fine!!!

G'luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics