Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Challah Mavens: Does bowl affect the dough?

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 4:35 pm
I make challah a lot. This week, I used a metal bowl for rising, when I usually use a plastic bowl. The dough was totally different than normally. Could the bowl been the cause?

Barbara

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 4:40 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
I make challah a lot. This week, I used a metal bowl for rising, when I usually use a plastic bowl. The dough was totally different than normally. Could the bowl been the cause?

No maven, but yes. My recipe says to only use metal or glass, so I would think that there is a difference.

watergirl

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 4:48 pm
Differently how? Faster? Higher? Slower?

bubbebia

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 5:10 pm
I don't see so much where it makes a difference. I've used plastic but most often I use metal because it's the bigger bowl. Maybe it was different because of the baking time, the moisture in the air, etc. Something that had previously been cooked in oven. There are so many different factors as to what may change something. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 5:13 pm
The ideal bowl for bread making is a wooden one. They are super expensive, but it's on my list of things I will treat myself to one day.

Your metal bowl may have been too cold. Next time try wrapping a warm towel around the base.

Happy18

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 5:33 pm
I find my dough comes out better in metal than in plastic. What was different for you this week?

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 6:00 pm
I've heard it makes a difference ... I prefer a glass bowl

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 9:55 pm
Plastic absorbs oil, so I can imagine it would change the dough.

Pita

Post Thu, Nov 21 2013, 10:23 pm
If it wasn't copper the only difference may be how the heat was conducted. Or maybe the weather is different; hotter or cooler in the kitchen, or the yeast was old maybe.

BabsB

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 10:52 am
Well, I'm no challah "maven" but I supposes compliments and requests for my challah means I'm doing something ok....

The bowl does matter, but so does SO many other things.

When I use a metal bowl, I have to wrap a towel around the bottom to keep the bowl warm enough. (I often let my bowls rise in a warmed and then turned off oven.) With my big porcelain bowl, I'm able to use a little less oil but I have to be VERY careful not to let the bowl get too hot. A wood bowl required more oil at first, but then less and less each time I use it. I've never used a plastic bowl but that's just because I don't own any... I've also never used a glass bowl because mine aren't big enough.

It makes a big difference how warm your kitchen is. Dough will rise quicker in a warm kitchen than a cold one. Also, it matters how often you bake. The more you bake the more yeast spores you have hanging around in the air and the quicker your dough will rise.

Also, are you activating your yeast? And when you do, do you add a little sugar to the water?

gumby

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 1:15 pm
Where does one get a super large wooden bowl ?

BabsB

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 7:07 pm
I picked mine up at a flea market.

I did see that the Martha Stewart collection at Macy's has a large wood bowl on sale. It's still $75 though!

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 7:32 pm
Thanks for the all of the feedback! Usually, I use the plastic bowl that came with my mixer, and I just let the challah rise rise in that. I am thinking that it's the warmth that makes it different, as the bowl is still warm and the mixer is still warm from all of the mixing.

The metal bowl I used (not copper) was very cold. So, it rose, but wasn't as moist a dough - dryer and not as sticky.

But it was actually easier to braid and it tasted just as delicious. So I guess both bowls are ok Smile

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 7:58 pm
I find this thread very interesting. I've been baking challah for close to 40 years and never thought about the bowl. That said, I've always used plastic as my large bowls are all plastic. My challah rises well and comes out good.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 24 2013, 8:17 pm
I use plastic because that's what I have, and never had any problem. I can't imagine how rising the dough in a wooden bowl could improve upon perfection... Confused
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen