Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Food stamp card questions in NJ

amother

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 9:42 pm
I have just received a food stamp benefit card for my family. I honestly never thought that it would come to that - that I would have a food stamp card but it's very helpful now and I am thankful that after applying a few months ago I was finally approved. I was not brought up like that and I sincerely hope that I will not need to use this very soon.

I live in NJ and have a few questions and I really don't know who to ask.

Can I use my food stamp card in the bakery? The pizza store? The bagel shop? I have not been to those stores for a while since it was an added expense but now I am wondering if they take this card as payment.

Can I buy baby formula with my food stamp card? I also have wic but my baby is over 1 yr so they do not provide formula anymore.

If I do not use all the money each month will they lower my benefits?

amother

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 11:36 pm
bump

amother

Post Mon, Oct 21 2013, 11:56 pm
If you're in Lakewood there are pizza stores, bagel shops and bakeries that accept EBT. Call before you go to ask individually.

Yes, you can buy formula on EBT.

You can leave a balance over every month it won't effect anything.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 7:28 am
thank you for responding!

I can get to lakewood easily so I would love to know which pizza stores and bagel shops accept if you happen to know off hand. Thank again!

YW123

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 7:47 am
the ones I know of are gelbsteins, river ave cafe, bagel nosh, capital hotel pizza, capital hotel ice cream (called yismach yisroel) all the grocery stores, yussis takeout for cold food and sushi, heimish bake shop on second street. im probably forgetting a couple, but that should get you started.

wispalover

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 8:00 am
amother wrote:

I can get to lakewood easily so I would love to know which pizza stores and bagel shops accept if you happen to know off hand. Thank again!

Pretty sure it is illegal for those stores to take EBT. Even in Shoprite you cannot use EBT for hot/ prepared foods.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/r.....e.htm

amother

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 8:43 am
OP, I am sorry you are up to here. I hope things get better for you and your family soon. It's fine to use your EBT card at any of the places mentioned above-if it is a problem to purchase ready food then the store wouldn't be approved for EBT acceptance and/or they will tell you that when you shop there. Some people on this site have never been where you are now and they aren't very compassionate about it. Don't read every link provided here.

Good luck.

wispalover

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 9:10 am
amother wrote:
OP, I am sorry you are up to here. I hope things get better for you and your family soon. It's fine to use your EBT card at any of the places mentioned above-if it is a problem to purchase ready food then the store wouldn't be approved for EBT acceptance and/or they will tell you that when you shop there. Some people on this site have never been where you are now and they aren't very compassionate about it. Don't read every link provided here.

Good luck.

And you are amother because.....??

Please do not make presumptions about my life. You have no clue what I have and have not dealt with. And really only the grocery stores should be able to accept ebt; if the others can it may be due to illegal filing of their store. That is all I am saying. I did not say I blame the user but if the store has lied then I would blame the store.

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 9:16 am
it is against policy to use the food stamp for any other purpose than getting food ... take out style eating is considered entertainment ~ just sayin'

but I feel you - the need to go out & just have pizza is sometimes overwhelming

and I would also agree the store would get in trouble - more so than the purchaser [unless of course you are trading them for cigarettes & diapers]

mamaleh

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 11:00 am
The reason some of these stores are allowed to take EBT is because they sell some foods that are legally allowed on food stamps. The way it was explained to me (by the office that issued my card -when I had one) was "you can by the roll, the sliced deli meat, the pickles, etc. but you can't by a sub" They also told me that prepackaged sandwiches, etc were fine as long as they were not heated up by the store. Take-out food is also allowed- if it is not store heated as is almost everything in a bakery. Now, some of the stores only allow you to use EBT for those things that would be allowed & others might bend (or break) the rules, but none of them should have had to lie to be allowed to accept it.

mamaleh

Post Tue, Oct 22 2013, 11:08 am
wispalover wrote:
amother wrote:

Pretty sure it is illegal for those stores to take EBT. Even in Shoprite you cannot use EBT for hot/ prepared foods.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/r.....e.htm

Hot food is a problem, prepared food (as long as it is not meant to be eaten in the store) is not neccesarily a problem

amother

Post Sun, Dec 01 2013, 10:56 pm
YW123 wrote:
the ones I know of are gelbsteins, river ave cafe, bagel nosh, capital hotel pizza, capital hotel ice cream (called yismach yisroel) all the grocery stores, yussis takeout for cold food and sushi, heimish bake shop on second street. im probably forgetting a couple, but that should get you started.

thank you for this information. I have been to bagel nosh a few times, the pizza store once and of course the grocery numerous times. I went to walmart for a few items and was able to pay for baby formula (walmart brand) with the EBT card. I went to yossi's but forgot the "rules" and even though I ordered cold food items, my kids sat down to eat there and they said that they cannot accept food stamp payment since it's only for takeout. Ordering bagels is a big help for me on busy days so thanks again for advising me where to go.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics